Monday, February 1, 2021

FINISHED PROJECTS


My dolls, Shirley Anne and Molly, model recently finished outfits for Hazel, my great-grandniece's doll.

 

 

 

In these photos, Shirley Anne is dressed in a beautiful blue stretch knit party dress, while Molly wears a heart-themed sweater made from a pair of knee socks.

 

The dress pattern had been on my “to do” list for several years. I had wanted to make the longer, tiered gown but didn’t have enough fabric. Other issues cropped up as I worked with this stretchy knit. The Velcro closure was so horrible that I actually threw the dress in the trash. However, the next day I retrieved it, carefully ripped the Velcro off, stabilized the back, and then re-applied the Velcro.

I have finally learned – if only I remember – that an iron-on stabilizer on the back edge works wonders in keeping the fabric from stretching out of shape.

And that brings me to making doll sweaters from very stretchy socks. Stabilizing the back pieces makes finishing the opening so much easier. I'm especially proud of the "black hearts" sweater because I was able to apply the ruffles from the socks to the bottom edge of the sweater.

In January, I finished three “sweaters from socks” –

 

. . . this glittering black and gold holiday number . . .





. . . and the two Valentine-themed sweaters. I actually remembered to take a “before” picture so that you can see the process.

 

“What’s wrong with these socks,” asked Mike, as he watched me lay out the pattern.

 

“Nothing,” say I; “I bought them because they make such cute doll sweaters.” 

 

And I paid homage to the era with a mask.

 

 

 

And now the dress and sweaters are ready to  be shipped to Hazel. KW


4 comments:

Chris said...

Oh wow! You've outdone yourself! That blue dress is absolutely gorgeous and the sweaters are just so cute. Allyn (hope I spelled that correctly) and Hazel are going to be thrilled. What a wonderful great-great aunt you are! Well done.

Becky said...

Those are so cute!!!! I love them!! And so will Hazel I'm sure.

Chuck said...

Those are so beautifully done. I hope the recipients enjoy them as much as I imagine you did in the making of them. Carry On!!!

Kathy said...

Thank you for your comments. I just received word that the package has arrived at Hazel's -- er, Allyn's -- grandma's house.

Now I need to get going with something else.