Saturday, February 27, 2021

SECOND VACCINATION – CHECK!

Mike and I had our second Covid-19 vaccination on Wednesday (Feb. 24). We’re glad to have it behind us. It seems to make some people very happy to be vaccinated against the dreaded virus, and while I’m pleased that we did our part, the future remains to be seen. The experts say the virus is here to stay and we’ll need a booster every year. How could it be otherwise, they say.

With this second shot, we both had reactions. On Thursday, I dressed in my regular uniform – warm-ups and sweatshirt. Then I put on a hoodie and covered my entire ensemble with my fleece robe. I was so cold! Mike felt well at first and spent the morning running errands, but when he came back, he said he felt like he had the flu. Personally, I think when you have that shot, you should plan on at least one day of quietude, but it’s not Mike’s way. This, too, shall pass. It’s better than the actual disease.

Mike has worried a bit that our water consumption is too high. Initially, I suggested that the new dishwasher, which actually uses water, was the culprit, but with our February statement, I had to agree that our usage, especially compared to last month, was too high. So, Mike asked the utility district to come over, and sure enough, we do have a leak in the irrigation system, which also runs to the shop. This isn’t good news, but Mike just won’t have water in his shop until the weather is warmer and he can fix it.

And then, also this week the chimney on the shop blew down. We figure that over time and through many windstorms, the screws probably worked loose to the point that a strong gust finally took it off the back wall of the shop. This wasn’t good news either, but Mike pointed out that it puts things in perspective when we think of the folks in Texas dealing with what may be the worst disaster in their history. Son Clint came over this morning to help with re-installation. I tried, but I was no match for the chimney.

Here we are at the end of February. The days are noticeably longer and temps a little warmer. The snow is gone, but all danger of snow and frost is not yet past. Nevertheless, the signs of spring gladden our hearts. The weatherman says March will come in like a lamb.

And that’s the update from here. KW




4 comments:

Chris said...

We got up to three more inches. If there are flowers out there, they're buried deep! The sun is out, however, and the sky is blue with a few clouds. The sun clears the roads quickly after the plow comes through, so that's a nice thing. Clear, dry roads make this person happy. Sorry your shop has taken a hit these days, but as you wrote, small when compared to others trials. Glad Clint could help. Spring is coming!!

Kathy said...

Yes, we have heard tales of snow in the higher elevations. And sunshine makes a big difference. The crocus and daffodils are poking up here in the valley and even some of the perennials are looking alive. It's still pretty cold, though, especially with the wind.

Sister Joni living not far from you said her roads aren't clear and she is leery of driving down the hill.

I was glad of Clint's help. And anyway, we really needed the second extension ladder. I know my limitations, and it behooves us to use care.

Hallie said...

So glad you have your vaccination. I'm not looking forward to it when my day comes. That chimney business was quite a chore!

Kathy said...

Hallie, the injection itself is nothing, and some people don't have a reaction. I believe that no one need fear it. Since I am reclusive, I would gladly have given my place in line to one who is more at risk, but that's not the way it works.

It took brawn and know-how to put the chimney up. Mike is now fashioning a brace of some sort.