Monday, March 8, 2021

SPRING ON THE HORIZON

Last week was one of beautiful springlike days, albeit cold mornings. Our thoughts turned to yard clean-up and planning the garden on the farm. 

 




The kid rides again!

On a beautiful Wednesday afternoon (March 3) Mike and a friend made a circuitous loop from the valley to Moscow and back, the first motorcycle road trip of the year. It’s a different world in the upper country, where snow still lingers -- at least on that day.

On a sunny day, Bess naps outside on her rug. Then she comes in to get a drink, even though she has water in her kennel, and goes right back out. The in-and-out drill seems never-ending, but what do I care when my goal is 250 steps per hour?

I spied a crocus blooming in the yard today and the daffodils will bloom soon. But there’s a lot of dead vegetation out there that needs to be cleaned out. We started yesterday by pulling out a couple of sages.

We’re now lighting a fire in the little stove in the mornings to take the chill off the house. It’s tough to start a fire in the evening now that it's warmer. (The little stove doesn't draw well unless it's cold outside.)

And now, as we segue into spring, let me remind you that next Sunday, March 14, is our return to DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. You might want to think about it from time to time during the week so that it’s not entirely a shock to your system when it happens. KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

I do not remember that blue motorcycle.

Spring: It's happening! Many things are blooming here, too. It's about time!

Time: Argh!!! I did NOT know about the upcoming time change (head in sand).

M/W said...

Hallie, I guess I'll have to take you for a ride. I've had the Tiger almost 5 years. I've been using it on my long road trips - heated grips and cruise control.

Kathy said...

Hallie -- It's not like "they" tell you about the time change in advance. I happened to think about it and checked the calendar.

Chris said...

I've been thinking about its coming for weeks. We all know I hate it. Eventually I'll get used to it, but I'm no fan. I recently read an article about how detrimental it is to us, from heart attacks to many more automobile accidents. I think if this wasn't something the government has thrust upon themselves, they'd be all over it because of the hazards. Gah!!!

Kathy said...

They seem to be inching closer to permanent daylight savings time. Maybe it will happen in our lifetime. I really don't care which way they go as long as they make up their minds.