Wednesday, March 17, 2021

ST. PATRICK'S DAY, 1913


Best wishes for St. Patrick's Day! 

Albert Sanders, 1916

Albert Sanders sent this St. Patrick's Day postcard to Irl Dobson in 1916. He undoubtedly purchased the card in Hanna, Alberta. Al's address was Stettler, Alberta.

Al writes: "I guess it is about time I was sending you a card. I have been rather busy since I came home. How are you getting along in school? Have you started to play baseball yet?"

In October 1916, Al would return to Gilbert to marry Aunt Pearl.

This picture was taken March 17, 1913. Myrtle Dobson (Aunt Lynn) is on the left; Pearl Dobson is on the right. I don’t know the young woman in the middle. I suppose they are dressed in green.

My shirt-tail cousin Leah shared legal documents regarding Aunt Pearl, showing that she used "Eva Pearl" as her legal name. I thought she might have been taller than the stated 5 foot 4 inches, but that's still taller than her sisters. 

Myrtle & Pearl Dobson, c. 1912

Pearl & Myrtle Dobson, c. 1912

 

 

 


6 comments:

Hallie said...

We need a photo of Vance next to Pearl to better gauge her height since we're more familiar with his stature.

How did Al end up in Canada? Did he immigrate and did he have an accent or was he born there?

You mention that Al came to Gilbert to marry Pearl. Had he already been in the area before going to Canada and that's how he knew the family? Maybe he was visiting his sister (your grandma Portfors, right?). Was he a friend of Irl? Why would he send him a card?

Hallie said...

Uhhh...never mind. Read next post, Hallie.

Kathy said...

I have group pictures including Vance and Pearl, but they aren't sanding close to each other.

Your question about how Al ended up in Canada is answered in the next post. And yes, he had been in the area from time to time. I just don't know how marriage unfolded for them. Was he visiting his sister Nina Portfors and she said, "Why don't you ask Pearl Dobson to the dance?" I just don't know the answer.

I now that in 1916 his mother moved back to the states, so as a point of practicality, Al was ready to take a wife, one who was willing to leave her own family, live at the ends of the earth, and work hard in support of the operation. And that was Pearl.

Kathy said...

That's okay, Hallie. It's a blog. These things happen. XO

Chris said...

Those hats in the last picture!! Amazing!

Kathy said...

Aren't they, though. I wonder where they came up with those.