Saturday, April 3, 2021

TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!!!!

Spring seems to be here. Perhaps all danger of frost is not past, but there won’t be long-term freezing temps. So, Mike and I went to the farm on Wednesday (March 31) to de-winterize the farmhouse – always an adventure.

Mike proceeded to follow the recommended step-by-step de-winterization process. Once he was ready to actually turn on the water, he sent me upstairs to turn off the faucets. I know the drill. As I made for the main bathroom, I recognized the sound of gushing water coming from the master bath. I ran there to find water spewing everywhere. “Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!!!” I screamed as I sought the origin of the problem. Thankfully, Mike shut the water off immediately.

“Could you hear me?” I asked Mike later.

“I couldn’t hear what you were saying,” he said, “but I knew it wasn’t good.” Besides, water began to seep through the light fixture in the kitchen ceiling and then through the ceiling itself, a phenomenon with which we are well familiar.

Signs of Spring

The problem was quite obvious. The “shark bite” valve to the lavatory fitting had blown off under the pressure. Once we had mopped up and regained our composure, we agreed that this should not have happened, so Mike called “Big Mike the Contractor” who had shepherded us through “The Great Water Debacle of 2018.” He said he could come the next day (Thursday, April 1). We agreed to return and meet him at the farmhouse.

Long story short, Big Mike agreed with us that the valve should not have failed, and to our great relief, he agreed to take on the work, which involves repair to the kitchen ceiling as well as the valves under the lavatory. He will also pull the vanity out to ascertain if there is damage behind it. The work has already commenced.

Mike and I have made arrangements to have the interior of the modular home repainted and recarpeted in May, and our plan is to be at the farm while that work is done. Hopefully, this farmhouse repair will not cause delay. KW

Snow lingers in the mountains

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Somehow, the narrative of the story doesn't fit with the pictures. I was hoping to see some pictures of the water problem. Interesting story.

Kathy said...

No, there are no pictures of me grabbing towels out of the cupboard and throwing them on the floor. No pictures of Mike trying to drain water out of the light fixture. No pictures of water running onto the floor and into the bedroom. There IS a picture of the broken fitting, but it's on Mike's phone.

Chris said...

Noooooo!! Glad the contractor is taking responsibility and hopefully all will be fixed in short order. Mercy!!