Tuesday, July 26, 2022

CHRISTMAS IN JULY

Dirty Work

I love “Christmas in July” – all the promotions for holiday-themed patterns and fabrics plus Hallmark movies galore. But – I was too busy to partake of the offerings, and besides, I have plenty of projects on hand. So, I missed the fun, but no matter – it’s not over. The beauty of Christmas in July is that it’s a beginning, not an end.

We love the hollyhocks

This time of year, the world takes on a different look. It’s hard to define. Is it the angle of the sun or the length of the shadows? Or the dry vegetation in the fields? Or that hint of coolness in the breeze despite the sun’s heat? Whatever – fall is on the way, and I’m thinking of harvest themes and Halloween.

Speaking of Christmas, I have begun to work earnestly on the Grinch quilt. I’m not a real quilter, so I hope it turns out okay. I’ll be fine with it if it’s just okay because it’s meant to be for fun.

And it’s hot. A heat advisory is in effect until Friday at 8:00 p.m., as if they need to tell us it’s hot! But it IS hot. Mike and I were just out to pull some star thistle, and we agreed that it’s hot. Bess, who loves to lie on the chaise on the front porch, has been staying on the kitchen porch instead. No one has to tell her to stay cool. The hummingbirds empty the feeders quickly.

Also on this hot day, the farmer is working the field to the north of us and kicking a ton of dust into the atmosphere.

I found a toad in the raised bed this morning. Eventually he squeezed through the fence and appeared to leave, and that was fine with me. However, I just went out to pour some tea onto the tomato plant, and there he was again! 

I made a nice garden lettuce salad for supper last night. I added blueberries and walnuts and sprinkled with balsamic vinegar. I would have preferred raspberry vinaigrette, but I didn’t have any.  My lettuce seed was Burpee’s “Heatwave Blend,” and I’ve been pleased with it. This morning I planted more beets. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

That's not your hand next to the toad!

Kathy said...

No, it's your dad's.