Sunday, July 31, 2022

SAME PLACE, DIFFERENT YEAR

1959

The ghosts are talking to me today. Back in the day – late ‘50s, early ‘60s – family and friends would gather here at the farm on the last Sunday in July (or the first Sunday in August) to celebrate Grandpa Charlie Portfors’ birthday. (We called him Papa.)



1961

Mother, Daddy, and I would come to the farmhouse a week or two early to clean. It wasn’t easy without electricity and access to running water, but Mother seemed cheerful enough. We dusted, swept, mopped, washed windows, and wiped windowsills. Mother took the curtains down, washed them in town, and brought them back later to re-hang. I do remember her saying, “If only we could use a vacuum cleaner, it would go so much faster.” So, eventually we bought a generator.


Mother and Papa, 1963

As I think about it, I’m sure that we were also preparing the house for harvest, which usually started here in mid-August.





Papa and great-grandchildren, 1964

The actual party was billed as a picnic. We set it up in the shade of the north side of the house – the kitchen porch and yard. We had fried chicken, garden vegetables, Psyche’s fruit salad, potato salad, and perhaps baked beans. We had rolls and potato chips. The beverages were lemonade and iced tea – no pop, no water in bottles. No effort was made to coordinate the food. It was a potluck.

Mother usually baked the birthday cake. Daddy made ice cream, which was a special treat.

Today, as I look out the kitchen window, I can almost see a party. Almost. KW

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love this! Thank you for the memories.

Hallie said...

What a special time to have a large family to gather like this. And so many children! I don't know all the faces (especially those blonde children), but I can spot Polly! What a cutie.

Chuck said...

I remember those gatherings. I always had a great time, and the ice cream was to die for. It was at one of these gatherings that Polly, I think, came up from the lower part of the front yard and said she saw a rattlesnake, and said "And he stood up and looked to me n the eye. What an adventure.

Kathy said...

HI Chuck!
I think that bit of family lore (the snake story) is attached to Chris Profitt (now Main). As I recall, she called it a squirrel, but the "stood up and looked at me" part made us think it was a rattlesnake.

It WAS a fun gathering. I don't remember which of the many changes brought it down, and I don't remember if there was discussion or if it just quietly went away. We can see in the photo progression -- at least I can see -- that Papa's health was deteriorating.

And Hallie, it's just a point in time that my children missed out on.