Thursday, August 25, 2022

COYOTES, TRAILER SALE, AND YARD REPORT

 A COYOTE TALE

As SIL Nick was hiking with their dog Primo in the field behind the house last week, Primo suddenly spied two coyotes and took off after them. A panicked Nick was in hot pursuit, and to his horror, Primo caught the hindmost coyote and held it by the throat. Naturally, the first coyote was ready to return to assist his companion when somehow Primo let go and the coyotes moved on, much to Nick’s relief.

Well, Nick tells it better. Suffice it to say, there was an incident between Primo and two coyotes. Mike thinks the coyotes were immature, or else Primo wouldn’t have survived. The coyotes are close this year – in the lane, in the north field, behind the house. We know they have their place in the ecosystem here, but their cries are an unsettling sound. What do they want?

THE OLD TRAILER

It’s thunderstorm season now. Regional storms hit Friday, Monday, and last night (Wednesday). The showers here were heavy but brief. We saw a lot of lightning play around the house last night, but thunder claps were few by comparison. Don’t you worry, though. Summer is still here. In fact, more 100-degree weather is forecast for the Valley next week.

Anyway, Mike wants better protection for the Jeep and decided to clear out the back (south) room of the barn for a garage. I’m not sure this is ideal, but I’m all for the clear-out. We had an old pick-up bed fashioned into a trailer that we stored in that room, and Mike decided to get rid of it. His first thought was to take it to metal salvage in town, but then he decided to try to sell it. Our children tell us that Craigslist is no longer the forum of choice, but it worked this time. Mike sold that old trailer to someone in Grangeville for $75, and it was gone from our yard that very day. But the money isn’t even the best part. The best part is that we didn’t have to haul it to town.

YARD UPDATE

The hummingbirds are all but gone. We see them occasionally but their use of the feeders is negligible. I don’t expect to make nectar beyond what I have on hand. After all, I’m not in this to feed the yellowjackets! But I was pruning the zinnias yesterday when one little hummer approached to drink from a blossom. It was an “up close and personal” moment. I know we’re supposed to cut the zinnias back in order to encourage more blooms, but I left a few for the hummer. I’ve also seen a few real bees.

I have two young zucchini for a supper dish and one for bread. The tomatoes are ripening, and we’ll probably get a dozen this season. The strawberries are wonderful this year. I had enough to serve shortcake to Hallie and Nick last week, and Mike and I have shortcake a couple of times a week. The berries are still coming on! And I like that microwave shortcake so well that I don’t think I’ll ever make oven-baked again. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Very interesting story. Would you sent me the recipe in a separate e-mail so I could have some of your bounty/? Thanks for the story.

Kathy said...

Sure, Chuck. I'll send you the recipe for the microwave shortcake. Too bad I can't share the strawberries. I just picked 1 1/2 cups, and there are more green berries as well as blossoms. I sorta wish I had kept track of this year's strawberry bounty, but I didn't know it would be so good.

Hallie said...

Primo will have you know that after the coyote shook him off and ran, he gave chase and tackled him a second time!

Kathy said...

Bess chased a coyote on the morning hike the other day. The coyote ran into the canyon, and she didn't give chase. We were grateful.