Sunday, August 7, 2022

THE TRAVELER RETURNS

Bess and I traveled back to town Saturday morning. Bess is sometimes a reluctant traveler, but when she saw me packing the car, she was THERE. She followed me closely and when I opened the hatch, she jumped in. I think she had a good time during staycation and was reasonably content, but I know she was anxious to see her master.

Mike arrived at 5:00 p.m., hot and tired. Bess was overjoyed to see him. I was happy, too, of course, but refrained from jumping around. In general, our family felt relieved that Mike is back safe and sound.

Something untoward always happens while Mike is gone – always. He said I could mow the lawn or ride the 4-wheeler, but I said I wouldn’t tempt fate. However, when I went to run the dishwasher yesterday, I discovered the door wouldn’t latch. So, we’ll wash dishes by hand until we find a fix. It’s always something, and Mike comments that we've had a lot to fix this year.

Just for the fun of it, I took my dad’s picture of “the Great Stone Face” and enlarged the two women. They are indistinct – just an impression – and that’s part of the photo’s charm. It's not meant to be a picture of the women per se. But that’s Aunt Shirley sitting on top and Aunt Lynn (Myrtle) standing below. Clearly, they are looking out from their vantage points and not in the same direction. And I’m sure the picture was taken in the late afternoon or evening in September of 1961. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

I guess you don't know the third woman? Her face is not visible--you'd have to have some inside knowledge, I think.

Kathy said...

Hmmmmm. Are you talking about the whitish thing behind Aunt Lynn? I don't think it's a person.

Hallie said...

Yes, and I still see it as a person. I see the ruffle in her skirt -- white with a large plaid print on it and I see her arm held up to her face like the others. The perspective is odd and if it's a person, she looks smaller. Could it be a child?

Kathy said...

Interesting. When we're together, we'll discuss this. Maybe we'll even go to the stone face. Maybe I'll sit on top and you can stand beneath, and we'll get someone to take the picture. Tell you what, though. I'll be wearing boots and crew socks and jeans. How did they get out there with those fancy shoes?

Daddy took two shots, and that same "anomaly" occurs in both, so it's definitely something. If it's a person, I know it isn't me. Aunt Ethel was quite small, and that's a definite possibility, if it's a person and not an alien, that is.