Wednesday, October 5, 2022

LOVELY AUTUMN DAYS

Mike and I arrived at the farm yesterday afternoon (Tues., Oct. 4), and I worked in the yard the rest of the day. I picked three tomatoes. I expected more to be ripe. Someone told me that tomatoes don’t ripen well this time of year, and I guess she was right. Three are still pale orange, and the green tomatoes are still green. Before we leave, I will pick all the tomatoes and call it quits.

Hazy in the canyon to the south

That sorry zucchini just sits there taking up space. It did not earn its keep this year. Whatever happened to prolific zucchini?

But the strawberries have been wonderful, especially these last two months. I picked two cups of berries yesterday, and we had shortcake for supper again. Mike also put a few in his protein shake. AND – there are more berries and even blooms! This will come to an end with the first freeze, but apparently we have several more weeks before that happens.

We can see Teakean Butte now.

I have to think, though, that in Grandma Ina’s day, or even my dad’s day, the vegetable garden would have been cleared out by now. It seems to me that the first frost occurred in September, and it might even happen in August. They didn’t dare plant before mid-May, so the growing season at altitude was fairly short, and some years were more successful than others. They were disappointed if the fruit trees or the vegetable garden didn’t bear. They depended on the produce to see them through the winter.

Back in the day, the growing season wasn’t long enough to grow squash. Too bad. I could try, but I don’t have a lot of protected space. The deer love squash plants.

Singing a siren song to Mike

The elderberries are calling Mike’s name. We found a couple of bushes behind the house – those that we often picked during our “Elderberry Fest” – that look sincere. We’ll start with those.

I’m at the point of binding the Grinch quilt, and I’d rather do that than yardwork, but duty calls. This quilt project might have become a “buffalo” at any point during the last month, but I pressed on. “Steady. Steady,” I’d tell myself. “It’s just for fun. Silas doesn’t care if it’s not perfect. Just finish it.”

And no, Chuck, they haven’t planted the fields yet. KW


Taken from the western rim of the property


4 comments:

Chuck said...

It seems to me that the time to plant is about past. Fall wheat needs to be up before the freeze hits.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!
I think they are planting now. I saw equipment on the hill north yesterday. They haven't come here yet. Mike and I recalled that in the past fall planting has occurred just prior to the opening of deer season (Oct. 10). Still, a hard frost is a ways off, if the forecast can be believed. It was 50 this morning.

The land is leased, and fortunately I don't need to worry about it, though of course, we wonder. The farmer farms a lot of land, and he will get to it, or not. It's on him.

Chris said...

Your pictures are lovely! Fall is my very favorite time of the year and this one is about perfect. Leaves are just starting to turn, but the days are warm and just right for open windows and yard work. Well, yard work for Dan, and baking and soups for me in the kitchen!

M/W said...

I picked a gallon of those berries the next morning and Kathy began the jelly process.