Saturday, October 29, 2022

ONLINE BOMBARDMENT

We're enjoying a quiet weekend at the farm.

Sometimes I wonder how other sewists manage the constant barrage of retailer promotions for new projects, including challenges and sew-alongs.

·      “Join our block-of-the-month club,” says the quilt shop.

·      “Make this doll dress and post it on Pinterest before next Tuesday and win a $100 gift card,” says the purveyor of doll clothes patterns. (They make it sound like I will win for sure. It's not true!)

·      “Sew along with us over the next month and make this doll outfit (quilt, afghan, table runner, etc.)”

·      “Join us on live video tomorrow morning and learn to make this cuddly stuffed toy.”

·      “What new craft do you want to start today?”

Of course, for the retailer it’s all about encouraging the customer to buy their products. The plan is that you will buy the supplies to make a specific item and begin to work along with the online group to complete something fantastic. And some people do. But for some of us, it’s just one more mediocre item in the pile – or maybe just stuff for the storage shed.

I wonder how successful these promotions are. Of those who buy in, how many actually follow along and finish? I’d love to know some statistics on this.

I have my own agenda. I don’t need anyone to suggest something for me to do, though I love to see new ideas. And I’m especially good at starting projects that somehow don’t get finished. So, I try to close my mental door to these wonderful new things. How many wonderful things can can the average lifespan handle? 

It just seems like some people really thrive on it, or is that just what “they” want me to think? “If she feels left out, maybe we can get her to buy.” But I do belong to one Facebook sewing group, and several clever sewists post their creations frequently. How do they do it? I know I’m a slow worker, but I also don’t care about online “show and tell,” and I don’t like deadlines. The pressure to finish is a stress I try to keep out of my life, and maybe that’s another reason I don’t finish projects as well as I should.

But, you know – It’s not a lot of fun to constantly deprive myself of fabric, yarn, and a new project. I’m disappointed that I can’t seem to use what’s on hand so that I can have more. Doll outfits and little quilts dance in my head like sugar plums, but these days I’m careful about starting a new project.

Last week, though, I watched a tutorial on a zigzag tablerunner and felt the old familiar draw to try it. “No,” I said to myself, “you simply mustn’t.” But in the end, the desire to make that tablerunner won out. I had the necessary fabric on a Halloween theme, and the quilting guru said it was a quick, fun project. So, I did it – and here it is. Perfect it is not. Quick and fun it was. KW 

3 comments:

Chris said...

That is so cute! Looks perfect to me, and you can make it in Christmas colors or Valentine ones or . . . never make another one!! LOL Glad you jumped in and had some fun!

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
In fact, I do plan to do it again. I have another stack of charm square in darker shades -- my favorite! -- and so I made this one first to see where I needed to be more careful. Now I know. It was so easy to just line out the squares and sew them together.

I could also intersperse squares embellished with machine embroidery. Hmmmm. Food for thought.

M/W said...

I like the zigzags.