Wednesday, November 2, 2022

A LESSON LEARNED FROM MY MOTHER

Sister Harriet, Mother (Dorothy Dobson) & me - 1971

Over the growing years, I learned many lessons from my mother, but as I grow older, I realize that she never stopped teaching.

In her latter years, I often took her shopping. She moved slowly, and I wasn’t sure if she was actually that challenged or if she just savored the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with a family member. Outwardly I was patient as she looked over the goods. Inwardly, I was frustrated with her dawdling. I had three teen-agers at home and things to do.

As we shopped, if a product she wanted was missing from the shelf, I would say, “Well, they’re out of that,” and attempt to move on, but Mother would reply, “Just a minute now. Let’s just look.” And she would proceed to push the cans or boxes around, peer into the back of the shelf, and look on the shelves below and above. And lo and behold, not always but often enough to reinforce this behavior, she would be rewarded for her efforts.

I thought of this as I shopped the Dollar Tree for my favorite Yardley lavender soap which has been scarce everywhere. I found several Yardley varieties but no lavender. However, I wasn’t in a hurry, so I poked around a bit and came across one box of lavender mixed in with another brand – just one.

That’s when I thought of Mother and her penchant to thoroughly search for what she wanted. I am becoming my mother. KW

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love this! I can picture Grandma going up and down the aisles and doing just as you described. And yes, I'm also discovering that our Mothers keep teaching us long after they are gone. And also how we become our Mothers. But that's not always a bad thing. :)

Kathy said...

Hi Becky!
No, it's not (always) a bad thing to become one's mother. I just don't think we can keep it from happening. Perhaps it's nature as well as nurture, or nurture as well as nature.