Thursday, November 24, 2022

HAPPY TURKEY – ER, CHICKEN – DAY

Thanksgiving Day, 1959

Times change. With us, the extended family potlucks revolving around our parents are a thing of the past. Gatherings with all of our own extended family seldom happen. We just live too far from one another. The times are different and the world is different, but we’re still thankful for our blessings. I know a number of people who are just having a quiet celebration at home this year, including us.

And that brings us to the subject of turkeys, the traditional Thanksgiving entrée. Turkeys are so expensive this year that I thought long and hard about buying one, especially since we aren’t feeding a crowd. (I don’t think turkeys these days are all that good anyway.) As I cogitated on the matter, Mike suggested grilling a chicken.

So, on Tuesday – and yes, that was late – we were off to buy a whole chicken. We went to Walmart first just to buy dog food. And then we went to Albertsons for our groceries and discovered that they were out of whole chickens. I guess others had opted for chicken as well. So, Mike called Walmart and ascertained that whole chickens were available there, and back we went to buy our Thanksgiving chicken.

This morning I’m making our traditional Dr. Pepper salad and mystery pecan pie. (I hope my crust isn’t tough.) Another couple will join us for dinner, and they will bring the cranberry sauce and vegetable side. We will have plenty of food, just not the variety that you find at a potluck.

Neighbors on either side of us have put up exterior Christmas lights. My own decorations are on a Thanksgiving theme with just a hint of Christmas. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

I recognize all those people in the photo! Was it really all those years ago?

Kathy said...

Oh yes! You know it was all those years ago. I cropped this picture. Unfortunately Daddy didn't center it well, which resulted in a nice picture of the back door on the right and Nina being cut out on the left. I'm glad to have it nevertheless.

Hallie said...

I put my lights up last weekend while the weather was nice, but I didn't turn them on until last night. My neighbor sent me a nice text message in appreciation of the lights. They do lift the spirit this time of year.

We had lamb for dinner on Thanksgiving. How's that for a break from tradition?

Kathy said...

I plan to put a couple of strings of solar lights on the bank behind the house. They aren't so obvious from the street, but if anyone is paying attention, the can be seen from behind the house. And you're right, Hallie. The lights do lift our spirits.

Do you like lamb? I never served it to my family, but Mother used to serve lamb chops from time to time when I was growing up. She also roasted lamb with rice, and I loved that.