Sunday, January 1, 2023

HAPPY NEW YEAR! – 2023

We still have our decorations and Christmas tree and I think I won’t take them down for a few more days. – Shirley Dobson (Shockley), Jan. 2, 1933

Mike and I awoke today to discover that much of our New Year’s Day celebrating (a.k.a. football) won’t occur until tomorrow. Since New Year’s Day falls on Sunday, we’ll celebrate on Monday as well. And 1933 followed the same calendar layout. My dad’s sister Shirley was writing on Monday, Jan. 2, though I expect it was just another day for her at that time and place. Apparently January 1 will not occur on Sunday again until 2034 – eleven years. 

Unlike Aunt Shirley, I didn’t leave our tree up into the New Year. I took it down and put it all away on New Year’s Eve. When I begin thinking about putting it away, I just as well do it. But – it’s still Christmas in the sewing room and will be for the next month. “No use to let it all go,” you know. The winter months are a wonderful time to enjoy gifts, candles, books, crafts, etc. – whatever that means for you. I have doll clothes to make and Christmas stories to read.

As is our tradition here, Mike and I didn’t stay up to greet the New Year. (Not officially anyway. Sleepless Mike was still reading as 2023 came in.) Folks in our neighborhood celebrated with fireworks, and the constant popping upset Bess. We reminded ourselves that we will want to be on the farm on the Fourth of July this year.

New Year’s resolutions aren’t for me, but every year I buy an engagement calendar as an organizational tool, take stock of where I stand with my projects, and make a list of what I hope to do during the year. It keeps me focused and reminds me of things I tend to forget, but it doesn't set me up to fail. This year, I chose an engagement calendar published by The Old Farmer’s Almanac. Engagement calendars are essentially the same, but this one offers inspiration, gardening tips, phases of the moon, etc., and came in at a good price. And while I was at it, I bought their wall calendar for the sewing room. KW

[The postcards featured on this post were addressed to my dad, Vance Dobson.]

2 comments:

Chris said...

I used an engagement calendar years back but then gave it up; I've also tried some to keep track of my sewing, but then forgot to enter things. Guess I'm not very good at even the most elementary "diary" type things. And on another note, 2023?? I couldn't even imagine the year 2000 when I was younger, and now here we are, 23 years later. Amazing.

Kathy said...

I don't use the engagement calendar as much as I should, but I just can't give it up. Mother started both of us keeping diaries when I was in junior high. She kept at it for the rest of her life, but I quit when I finished college. For one thing, I just didn't enjoy remembering day-to-day activities. I have now tossed those old diaries, and Mother's are gone, too.

Yes, 2023 IS amazing! There's life before 2000 and life after 2000, and it's just hard to believe that anyone born in 2000 is now an adult!