Thursday, April 6, 2023

DISCOURAGEMENT

Home, home on the range,

Where the deer and the antelope play,

Where seldom is heard a discouraging word . . .

. . . unless, of course, your "home on the range" has plumbing.

“More disappointing than surprising,” Mike said as we drove out of the farm yard Wednesday afternoon.

We had driven back to the farm that morning to turn the water on, taking son Murray with us as an extra set of eyes and ears. Unfortunately, we have plumbing problems again due to the cold winter in this isolated place. Fortunately, we were careful as we turned the water on, and any damage to the house is minimal. Mike has already contacted our plumber. We are also fortunate to have a relationship with a plumber who is willing to schedule us in when we need him.

But – we are discouraged. I always dream of a cozy farm Christmas, but we have to winterize so early that it just isn’t possible. Our plan is to have the plumber winterize the house, probably between Halloween and Thanksgiving. As much as I hate to let go of my dream, it’s better and a lot less stressful to have a firm plan. And after all, Grandma Ina and my menagerie of imaginary characters goes with me everywhere.

It was 45 on the farm and about that in the house, too. We were chilled, and the sun-warmed Jeep felt so good. We were back in town before 3:00, and then Mike commenced to spray weeds here and wash the Jeep in a balmy 60 degrees.

Meanwhile, I’ve started some covers for the arms and backs of our recliners using a pattern for a hexagon quilt. “What!?? Another project?!! What happened to all those other quilts and that afghan you’re crocheting and the doll dresses,” I hear you asking. And you’re right. I’m off on another tangent, but I’m hopeful that I will finish this project. They will look so much better on the recliners than the towels from the rag bin. I also took a break and crocheted eggs and bunnies for grandson Silas’ first Easter basket, but I forgot to take a picture of them. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, no judgment on crafting. Whatever you enjoy doing at the moment is good. You're your own boss!

Kathy said...

I'm my own boss? Really? You mean, I don't have to listen to the voice of my conscience telling me I'm amassing too many UFOs. Good! -- because I don't want to, though I do feel I'm not practicing proper self-discipline.

Chris said...

Yup, that's right!

Hallie said...

UFO = "Un-Finished Objects"? If so, that's hilarious!

Kathy said...

Yes, UFOs are unfinished objects. I have quite a few UFOs, but I DID finish the hexagon project. It isn't perfect, but it's okay. I had fun doing it, and I DID learn some things. I want to do it again.