Monday, April 17, 2023

NOTHING HAPPENING

 

Murray with Vitus

Nothing interesting happening here. We’d like to begin our visits to the farm, but we’re waiting for our plumber to schedule us in. (We are lucky to have an ongoing relationship with a plumber.) And besides, here in town we had frost three mornings last week. It’s still cold and even colder at the farm. I’m concerned that we won’t have fruit on the trees again this year. 

Mike with Vitus

Mike and son Murray refurbished an old bicycle, a “Vitus,” and I think they both enjoyed the project. Then they decided another type of bike would be better for Murray’s everyday exercise and bought a Kent from a pawn shop. Yay! Another bike to fix up!

And we have plenty of yard work here in town. Mike pruned the lavender and sprayed the weeds, and I’ve been cutting back the silver sage (wormwood). The first daffodils are beginning to pass while the mid-season varieties are coming into bloom. The imitation cherry is in full bloom now. Lots of its petals danced in last night’s wind and rain storm, but the tree is still beautiful.

A while back, Mike suggested that I make protectors for the backs and arms of the recliners. It would be nicer than towels, he said. So, when I noticed a “quilt as you go” project with hexagons, I decided to give it a try. I used 5-inch charm squares from my stash in a fabric line titled “Tell the Bees.” I worked right along and finished in a few days. I had so much fun doing it that I want to keep right on making those hexies. I’ll probably do a set for the recliners at the farm, but maybe it would be best to wait until I can measure. Or not. We’ll see.

Mike wondered if we should somehow protect the protectors. “Oh no you don’t,” I said. If/when they wear out, I’ll simply make more. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

I love it--protectors for the protectors!! They're perfect and I love that you loved making them!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I love finding fabric that works in my stash. These colors seemed right for the room. But of course, I could make seasonal protectors, and I probably will.

The hexagons were a little difficult to fit together, but it doesn't really matter in the protectors because they aren't that big. It was a doable project.

Chris said...

Oooh--seasonal protectors! Yes!