Saturday, May 27, 2023

CEMETERY VISITATION

Often, we don’t have flowers in bloom on Memorial Day, but this year, we do. The lilacs are still in bloom, the spirea bush is beautiful, and the iris are plentiful and glorious. I made a live bouquet for my dad’s grave.

We have 22 graves of the extended Dobson family at the Gilbert Cemetery, and when we’re here on Memorial Day weekend, we visit there and place small artificial bouquets. I do it because I like to show that we still remember our family – my dad, of course; my great-grandparents Lafe and Lucy Dickson; my grandparents, Ina and Jack; great-aunt and uncle, Bertha and June Dobson; the children of the two Dobson families; and a few of their grandchildren. And then we tour the cemetery to see if other graves have been decorated, and we only see a few. People moved on from here.

So, Mike and I visited the cemetery on Friday morning while it was sunny and pleasant. I laid out the bouquets, and Mike assisted in placement. As we left, I had again that sad feeling of parting, as if they didn’t want me to leave or that I didn’t want to leave them there. No, I don’t really believe the departed linger, and if they do, it’s not at the cemetery.

It clouded up in the afternoon. We heard distant thunder, and it rained a bit at supper time. We welcome the cooler temps and whatever moisture we get. Mike cleaned the eavestrough that feeds the cistern – our source for garden water. KW

No comments: