Sunday, May 7, 2023

PROJECT UPDATE

I always have many projects in the planning stage. They dance in my head like sugarplums. But let me tell you, dreaming over them is not enough. I’m amazed at how difficult it can be to make choices, organize supplies, and get started. Some projects never get off the ground, and of those that do, buffaloes abound along the way. The path to the finish line is not one of flowers.

But some projects are important and must be done. I just finished a new “lovey” blanket for grandson Silas. Two years ago, when I knew that a baby boy was on the way, I bought yards of flannel at JoAnn’s and made receiving blankets, not realizing that he would be swaddled in a flannel bag for weeks. (Yes, my baby-care practices are horribly out of date; do not entrust your newborn to me.) Nevertheless, those lightweight flannel blankets were evidently put to use along the way because when they visited last summer, Hallie said that they were Silas’ favorites and any of them would do. But with the next visit, Silas had chosen a favorite – the one with monkeys riding bikes. He calls it “monkey.”

“I’m afraid it won’t last for the duration,” Hallie said. “Where did you get that fabric?” Well, it was a remnant when I bought it at JoAnn’s two years ago, and knowing that fabric designs are discontinued when the run is sold out, I wasn’t hopeful that I could replace it.

I was glad to find a swatch of the monkeys in my stash. A swatch is worth a thousand words, you know. I showed it to the manager at my local JoAnn’s, and she said, “That’s an old design; I haven’t seen it in two years.” An online seller would be my only option, she said. I searched rows and rows of flannel while I was at the store and found nothing in the way of monkeys and not many I thought would appeal to a little boy. (Don’t get me started on the dearth of acceptable “boy” fabrics.)

My online search was frustrating as well, but I did find an Etsy seller offering several monkey flannel designs, and I ordered a yard of “monkeys swinging on vines with bananas.” I finished "new monkey” and sent it to Seattle with son Clint. The report is that Silas still prefers "old monkey" to "new monkey." I'm not surprised. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Yes, unfortunately there's usually no replacing THE blanket. I made fleece blankets with satin binding for our grandsons and the local three each picked one of them for the special one. When Daniel was born, Ann made one herself that she hoped would become his special, and wouldn't you know it, he picked one I had made for one of the older boys that hadn't become *the* special one to him. (I made several for each of the older ones.) They were all pretty worn by the end, but the fleece lasted pretty well. But don't you love that Silas' favorite is one you made?

Kathy said...

Yes, it's special that Silas loves a blanket I made. Hallie had hoped she could substitute "new monkey" long enough to wash "old monkey," but Silas has the sniffles and was unwilling to be separated from "old monkey." The new blanket just doesn't have the personality of the old one. Those monkeys on bikes are super-cute. And -- it's not just the design. That flannel was a JoAnn exclusive -- a lightweight -- so it also has a special feel.

Wow! Satin binding. You fussed! I just hemmed flannel. I also crocheted a quickie afghan with chunky yarn, and then I felt guilty, so I made a chevron with 4-ply yarn. They seem to like the quickie. I quit making afghans with baby yarn years ago -- too labor-intensive.

Hallie said...

I was able to divert Silas' attention from Monkey to another blanket called "Blue" so that I could launder Monkey. I also laundered the chunky afghan and he was delighted when it came out tonight. He grabbed it off the side of the crib and brought it into the living room to join us in the reading chair.