Sunday, October 8, 2023

SUMMER’S LAST HURRAH?

Purple Ash Tree

Brother Chuck, one of my loyal readers, calls me every Sunday afternoon, and since we always compare notes on the weather, I made sure that I was ready with our temps and the forecast. But today he and his wife were hunting for her purse. We were distracted and didn’t discuss the weather, so I’ll provide the update here.

Aphids on ash tree

The afternoons have been unseasonably warm – in the mid-80s! I’m wearing my summer pajamas again. And the “October bugs” (dusky ash aphids) are out in force, making the afternoon walk uncomfortable. The aphids swarm badly on our lot, probably because of the purple ash tree where the aphids lay their eggs.

But according to the weather forecast, tomorrow will be our last hot day. Tuesday it will rain and thereafter the highs will be in the 60s in the foreseeable future.

Mike is struggling with back issues, which drastically curtail his activities. Fortunately, he’s (mostly) comfortable lying down, though the process of getting onto the mattress is a trial. A trip to the pain clinic ten days ago resulted in no immediate relief, but he is making some progress – slowly walking, carefully playing fetch with Bess, doing for himself as much as he can. Thanks to his efforts, the MRI was scheduled for Friday (Oct. 6), but he doesn’t see the doctor until Oct. 18. All plans are on hold. We’ll just be flexible and hope for the best.

As I sat in a waiting room during Mike’s MRI, I couldn’t help but think of another visit to the same hospital on Oct. 6, 1979 – some 44 years ago. Yes, here we were in the hospital on Clint’s birthday. At that time (1979), a friend remarked, “What a lovely time of year to have a baby.” For some reason, that comment stays with me perhaps because lovely as the days were, winter would soon be upon us. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

I had forgotten Clints birthday was the 6th. We celebrated Ann's 49th birthday yesterday--she was born on the 7th and it was a glorious October day, just as yesterday's was. It is a lovely time to have a baby!

I'm so glad Mike is feeling a little better. Sorry he has to wait so long to see the doctor and know if there is anything that can be done.

Chuck said...

No news about the purse. We have a couple of places to check, but we are canceling her credit cards just in case. Today is going to be a hectic day. I feel sorry for you and your aphid infestation. I hope it doesn't last too long. We pray that Mike will get the treatment he needs for his back. Hang in there. We wish you well.

Hallie said...

The dark mornings and dark evenings are pinning me down. For the first time ever, I'm actually looking forward to the time change. It's more enjoyable when I open Silas' drapes to have some light stream in.