Wednesday, October 4, 2023

PRETENDING THE OLD IS NEW

Purple Ash

My friend Chris and I recently discussed the possibility of trading our old (but not so very old) Bernina sewing machines for newer models. I went so far as to check into the deal with the local shop, but the owner encouraged me not to trade, extolling various features of my Artista 630 that still compete well with the new line. “Why would you trade it,” he asked. “Is there an issue? Bring it in for service.”

And so, I had the 630 serviced, and she was pronounced in good health. I was fine with keeping her but disappointed nevertheless.

That’s when Chris said, “I’m going to pretend my machine is brand new. I’m going to read the manual and relearn all about what this machine does.” And then she rediscovered the “Machine Mastery” course, and I found my copy from years ago in my sewing cupboard. So, even though Chris is at her house and I’m at mine, I adopted her plan. I admit I should know more about the features of my 630.



Meanwhile, Chris made some beautiful machine embroidered pillow tops for Christmas, and I finished the “Peanuts” quilt. It’s always good to finish what one starts, even if it was 10+ years ago. I stored other projects in progress while I study to master my machine. KW


4 comments:

Chris said...

That Peanuts quilt is so cute!! I love it. Meanwhile, I'm working on finishing at least one pillow so I'm into my mastery out of order as I relearn button holes and cording!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris.

A part of mastery is knowing where to find the reminders you need in the manual, and that's what you're doing. You are not a beginner -- far from it. Don't take the mastery project too seriously.

Hallie said...

Learning a new device can be frustrating when you just want to have the fun of accomplishing something. I think this has turned out for the best. The Peanuts quilt is great!

Kathy said...

Well, I can tell you -- there's lots I don't know about the 630. It's embarrassing. I have been satisfied with my creative efforts, but I could do better.