Wednesday, September 27, 2023

END OF SEASON GARDEN REPORT

A morning photo

Mike and I made an overnight trip to the farm on Monday (Sept. 25). Rain was predicted, so we knew we had a short window of opportunity to accomplish some things here. We came in the old Dodge Ram so that we could carry the 4-wheeler and the lawnmower back to town for winter storage, signaling the beginning of preparations for winter.

I took advantage of the big oak table to square up the “Peanuts” quilt. Now it’s ready for the binding. I also baked cookies.

Despite the encouragement of many gardening websites to “extend your gardening season” with fall plantings, I’m afraid this would just be a lost cause at altitude here in the Inland Empire of the Pacific Northwest. It’s too hot to plant in August, and then with the shorter days and cooler temps of September, gardening just doesn’t seem to be an option. And anyway, I’m tired of fooling with the garden and ready to move on to other endeavors.

In the week we were absent from the farm, not much happened in the raised beds. Ripening has slowed. Mike helped me pick 2-3 cups of very ripe yellow pear tomatoes. The “Early Girl” vine sports many green tomatoes, and I’m not hopeful that they will ripen on the vine. Whatever – I’ll pick them on our next stay. I picked one misshapen zucchini to be grated for bread and one small crookneck. I see green strawberries and the plants are blooming again, but it may be too cool for development.

Apple Report: We have three apple trees in our little orchard – Honey Crisp, Empire, and Freedom. Last spring, we sprayed the apple blossoms, and I’m pleased to report that I picked a dozen beautiful, unblemished Honey Crisps. An additional seven apples were wormy and a few had to be discarded. Still, the tree produced this year, and we got usable apples. Yay! The Empire and Freedom trees each had one blossom in the spring, and each tree produced one beautiful little apple. Mike and I enjoyed apple-tasting at lunch.



"A dull day," as Grandma would say.

And speaking of shorter days, I was amazed at the change! I love outdoor solar lights – string lights and single units – which Mike helped me recharge and place this summer. Anyway, nine days ago, I watched as the lights came on at 7:30. Last night they were beginning to come on at 6:50, although I admit that it was a dark evening.

The forecast was correct. It rained, and we returned to town. Son Murray graciously offered to bring dinner this evening so that I wouldn’t have to cook. So thoughtful! So delicious! KW

1 comment:

Hallie said...

It's been a disorienting week of 75 - 80 degree weather in San Luis Obispo this week. It was pouring rain in Seattle. I suspect it's good four our 11 new arborvitae shrubs we planted, but probably the end for the cherry tomatoes.