Friday, September 15, 2023

UPDATE: LANE AND RING

Look down that lonesome road

Last week while we were in town, the excavator came and repaired our lane – the driveway from the road to our farmyard.

Larger rock laid under the gravel




The original family here, my grandparents (Jack and Ina) and their children, accessed this farm through the neighboring homestead, which was owned by my great uncle and his wife (June and Bertha). 

Big boulders unearthed

The old road, of which not a vestige is left, came across the top of the hill east of us and then down into our farmyard. But when Uncle June sold his place in 1948, a part of the deal was that the new owner, Earl Wright, would doze a new access for us. This was done, but it was not a great road. In recent years with weather issues and agricultural practices on west edge of June’s field, the lane has washed at the bottom during spring run-off. Improvements were needed. It looks good right now, but I suppose we won’t know for sure until next spring if the work is successful. The work is finished except for another load of gravel.

The ditch was dug out & the bank shaped


We came back to the farm Wednesday (Sept. 13), and as I disembarked from the Jeep, the gold band I wear as a wedding ring somehow got caught on the door, becoming bent and twisted. Honestly, visions of my finger being ripped off flashed through my mind. No amount of soap would allow the ring to slip off, and yes, it was a bit painful. Mike immediately went to his shed for pliers and straightened the ring enough so that I could remove it. Then he shaped it back into round. No jeweler necessary.

Some people don’t wear rings for the very reason that they can get caught with dire consequences, but I never thought it could happen to me. KW

Low place at bottom filled in


2 comments:

Chuck said...

The road looks beautiful. I hope it weathers the winter.

Kathy said...

Yes, so do we. I expect it will.