Saturday, September 23, 2023

MOVING INTO AUTUMN

Today (Sept. 23) is the official beginning of autumn. Gone are the hot days and warm nights. I put the electric blanket back on the bed several days ago and even started wearing warmer pajamas. For that matter, I’m even wearing my fall uniform – warm-ups, t-shirt, and hoodie. Oh, we might have some warm afternoons, but the hot temps of summer are gone.

I felt the change in the weather on Labor Day, so I began to set out my spooky Halloween decorations. Harvest, Halloween, and Thanksgiving are sort of one thing in my decorative world.

“But Halloween is a long way off,” noted Mike.

“It will be here before you know it,” I affirmed defensively. “Just look what happened to July and August.”

And now the end of September is in sight. I rest my case.

Bess on the warm pavement

Mike participated in the annual three-day motorcycle group ride to Thompson Falls, Montana, so once again, Bess and I staycated. She hunted with Mike four days in a row (Saturday through Tuesday) before he left, and even though she was active only a few hours each day, she was stove up. She’s ten years old in dog years, which means that in human years, she’s somewhere between 53 and 70, depending on which chart you follow. Well, she had a few days there when she felt every bit of 70, but she still loves to hunt. She also loves her master and wants to please him. And of course, she moped while Mike was gone.

I always feel that I’m entitled to a gift (or several gifts) for staycating with an out-of-sorts dog. I used to reward myself with any number of relatively inexpensive yet inspirational items to be delivered while Mike was away. This year, I’ve been hard-pressed to think of any smaller items I’d like to have, so I decided to think big and buy a new sewing machine. The current sales promotion at the local shop is 25% off with trade of any sewing machine.

So, I chose a model, and after much mental wrangling – also called vacillation, dithering, etc. – I negotiated the deal with the owner / salesman.

"Peanuts" quilt soon to be finished

But – on the day I was to complete the deal, the salesman talked me out of it!! Why did I want a new machine anyway, he asked. I replied that my husband’s new motorcycle entitled me to a new sewing machine. (I wasn’t going to explain the whole “staycation gift” thing.) Apparently that reason wasn’t good enough. The salesman enumerated my machine’s excellent features. He didn’t think the new machine offered many advantages. Long story short, we agreed that I would take my machine to him for service, and barring any unforeseen problems, I will just keep it.

Meanwhile, my friend Chris and I have enjoyed a bit of fun with these negotiations, and our creative muses were reinvigorated without costly new machines. KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Who would have thought that not buying a new machine would result in so much enthusiasm and reinvigorated inspiration?? Stitch on!! :-)

Kathy said...

Exactly! I know Mike is baffled by this phenomenon. And you, Chris, are doing some beautiful stitching.

Chris said...

Well, between church and the mandatory Sunday afternoon nap, no stitching has yet taken place today. And hey, you getting that quilt quilted is a pretty big deal, too!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. Yes, we do have distractions and other things to do -- even taking naps. I have a machine embroidery project in the works -- at least one -- but it will feel good to finish this quilt. It should happen this week.