Thursday, July 18, 2024

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE RANCH – ER, FARM

 

People seem startled when I refer to our place  as “the farm.” They seem reluctant to use the word, like it has a bad connotation. But it IS a farm. Actually, my dad encountered the same attitude. People seem to prefer the word “ranch.” However, my dad explained to me that our place is a farm, not a ranch. A ranch involves livestock. We have none.

Remember that song from Oklahoma:

“Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends.”

I’m just sayin’ that the farmer and the rancher aren’t the same and neither are the farm and the ranch.

Anyway, we’re back, having arrived during the noon hour. It’s stuffy in the house, but it was already 91 and too hot to open the windows. Late afternoon, it was 93, and 84 in the house. A nice breeze blows at 5-10 mph, and Mike remarked that it was pleasant on the porch. KW 

2 comments:

Becky said...

Unless it's my Dad. He was a farmer and a rancher. And yes, there is a difference.
I'm tired of the heat!!

Kathy said...

I wonder if ranching takes precedence over farming. And if one is a farmer AND a rancher, is he a conflicted individual?

One day your dad sat on the porch here, and I think he thoroughly enjoyed it. I commented that we have so much canyon land here, and he said, "Oh, but that's good grazing for your cattle."

Looks like it's getting harder to escape the heat. Just be grateful you can escape the cold.