Sunday, September 29, 2024

YET ANOTHER SHORT STAYCATION

Yes, all right. I got it wrong. My prediction that autumn had arrived with cooler temps and no more heat-related alerts was totally wrong. In the Valley, afternoon temps this past week soared into the high 80s or even the 90s. I had to get my summer pajamas and shorts back out and leave the blanket folded at the foot of the bed. And this weekend, the weather service alerted us to the fire danger. But I really do think that it will be cooler this next week. We’ll see.

Bess and I are together again while Mike is off on another adventure. Bess mopes, and I don’t say I like it, but I make use of the “alone” time to spread my projects out all over the house. I will have to clear away the clutter before Mike gets home so that he has a place to sit.

I have had two Daisy Kingdom Christmas border prints in my stash for 25 years. I bought them to make dresses for granddaughter Annie, who is now 28. I really wanted to make those dresses, too, but when it came right down to it, I realized I couldn’t overcome the difficulties. My sewing time was limited, and Annie lived a thousand miles away. Still, I love that fabric, and when we downsized 20 years ago, I retained it.

fussy cuts -- apron bib and pockets

So, yesterday I cut a bibbed apron with a full skirt out of that fabric. I did some fussy cutting (cutting specific designs from the fabric as decorative elements for the apron), which isn’t optimum use of the fabric, but I figure its value has depreciated anyway. Even so, I think I have enough fabric left over to make another apron. And that’s just from the first fabric.

And I crocheted on the latest scrap afghan, did some reading, went to Walmart, had phone conversations with family members, etc., etc., etc. Tomorrow: clear the clutter and fix a nutritious supper complete with an apple / pear / blueberry pie. KW 

No comments: