Tuesday, August 11, 2026

DAY 16 -- YELLOWSTONE TRIP 1926

August 11, 1926 -- Wednesday

Just like Charlie of the M.T.A. song, I wonder if the family will ever return. I also sing “the tale of the castaways,” the theme song from Gilligan’s Island where a two-hour cruise turned into a nightmare. It appears that Ina has had enough of traveling and camping and is ready to be home. 

I have no information regarding this day in 1926 as the family travels through Washington and Idaho to reach home. All that remains among the memorabilia is a photo of Shirley at Spangle, Washington, which more or less indicates that they camped near there (18 miles south of Spokane), and I think it’s doubtful that they made it home in one day. Hopefully, they arrived on August 13 (Friday).

And I know nothing about their homecoming. Did Myrtle and Ethel prepare the desired nutritious homecoming dinner? They probably lacked up-to-date information from the travelers and likely worried. Perhaps Ina insisted on sending a telegram from Spokane, and that would have reassured the girls, but the timetable would still be uncertain due to unforeseen circumstances on the road.

But – I can pretend. I can see Myrtle rising early to bake a cake while Ethel went to the garden to pick tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, and lettuce. They also scurried around to tidy up, air the house, and hide the cigarettes and ashtrays.

I do know that the travelers made it home, though, because they went on to live out their lives for a good many years – all of them. Jack was first to pass on – 1946; Ina – 1957; Bernice – 1958; Lynn Dryden – 1963; Myrtle – 1971; Earle – 1975; Ethel – 1980; Vance – 1987; and Shirley – 2004. 

That’s all, Folks! Thanks for celebrating the 1926 Road Trip to Yellowstone with me. KW 

6 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you for taking us along on the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kathy said...

Thank you, Becky. It was good to revisit Ina's descriptions and consider the changes that 100 years bring. It was a challenge to keep the days and dates straight, though.

Hallie said...

How old was each person when he/she passed? Who is Bernice again?

Kathy said...

I can tell you how old they were, at least within a year or so. Julian (Jack) Dobson was 82. (His twin brother Junius outlived him by four years. Ina was 86.
Of the children, Myrtle was about 77, I think. Earle was 79; Ethel, 83; Vance, 83; and Shirley, 94.
Bernice Dryden Dobson was Earle's wife, so my aunt by marriage. She died in 1959 at the age of 58. Lynn Dryden, her brother, passed at the age of 66 or so.
Shirley Jean, the baby in our story, passed in 1996 at the age of 70.

Hallie said...

Sad about Bernice. That's quite young.

Kathy said...

Yes, it was sad. She had arthritis and in that time, they treated with cortisone. She actually died of cortisone poisoning. This was not unusual in those days. Uncle Earle was devastated. They did not have children.