Tuesday, March 13, 2018

SIGNS OF SPRING

The new neighbors will look right into our house
Mike headed out for a little motocaching. He invited me along, but the wild blue yonder doesn't call to me like it does to him. He found three out of four caches and he's already back -- so no worries.

Did I tell you? Mike and I have joined a yoga class -- 8:45-9:30 a.m., Mon-Wed-Fri. -- instructed by someone Mike knows through cycling. He checked it out mid-January and said he wanted to continue, so I went along. It's mostly older women -- just two men. We both feel it's been beneficial in terms of flexibility, balance, and staving off joint pain.

New racing stripe on GTI
Now we're adjusting once again to daylight savings time. According to the clock, we eat late. The dogs want their afternoon walk at 4:00 instead of 3:00. We go to bed early because we can't stay awake, and we sleep in till 8:00 because that's really 7:00 by the inner clock. We re-set all clocks except the Magnum, which isn't intuitive and we forget how to do it from one change to the next. Overall, I guess it's good to have a long evening, especially for people who work indoors all day. Maybe we should just stick with that plan.

Daughter Hallie wrote yesterday to complain. "I say this every year, but I do really mean it: I HATE THE TIME CHANGE. I heard a radio spot that listed off all the reasons why its unhealthy to screw with your time routine. Why are we still doing this?? I went to bed at 10pm, which is maybe 30 minutes earlier than normal and was so tired that I got up at 6:45, which is basically when I normally get up. So, I walked Primo [their dog] and just tried to get ready faster so that I wouldn't be terribly late to work. I was still kind of late, but I promise you that I was not the only one."


The early bloomers are making a show  -- crocus and forsythia. My daffodils haven't opened yet, but in other places around town, they are in full bloom. This morning Mike and I watched from the bedroom window as half a dozen goldfinches played in a lavender bush. In the morning, I still need my winter uniform of warm-ups and sweatshirt, but by afternoon I'm searching my wardrobe for lighter clothes. But -- according to the forecast, temps will drop again tomorrow. And maybe we'll get some rain.


Bess loves this sunny spot

Oh -- and Bess brought home a couple of ticks from a hike at Chief Timothy Island. KW








2 comments:

Chris said...

I read this yesterday, and upon rereading, I finally noticed the pictures! The house above you is well along. It's too bad you lost the empty space above, but at least it's not just out your windows. I notice in many of the newer subdivisions the houses are so close together that I think you could shake hands out the windows. And those some racy stripes on the GTI!!

Kathy said...

You're right that the new house isn't so terribly close, but from their deck, they will have a first rate view straight into our house, including the bathroom. We plan to install a blind on the back door, which will take care of that, and we'll have to learn to close the drapes over our slider. Mike has already approached the new home owner about a privacy fence of some sort, but I think that deck is going to sit well above any fence or arborvitae.

The houses in Hallie's Seattle neighborhood are close, and from her dining room window, she can see the neighbors in their bathroom. Even though the bathroom window is frosted, the shadow is there.