Monday, March 26, 2018

THE STEEP AND WINDING ROAD TO SEATTLE


Thursday sunset (Clarkston)
Our drive took us from the rural southeast corner of the state of Washington to the urban northwest corner. It was Friday, March 23, and at 6:23 a.m., Mike, Bess, and I were off to the big city – Seattle – in our little VW GTI, arrangements having been made to board Nellie. Mike had an appointment for an amendment to the GTI at 1:00 in Seattle.

Thursday sunset (Clarkston)
We wended our way over curvy country roads in agricultural / ranching country. We were halfway to Seattle before we came to the divided highway that blends the traffic from northern and southern localities into one, and then once again we traveled a two-way highway across the vast interior of central Washington State. On we went until we came to the freeway that carried us over Snoqualmie Pass, where it was snowing, and on into the city. 

Little Tudor
Finally, just before noon, we arrived at the little brick Tudor where Hallie and Nick live. Mike went off to the GTI appointment while I settled in to wait with Bess and Primo, our grand-dog, until everyone would begin to come home. Hallie and Nick both had to work. 


Bess in the fireplace
Bess and Primo had to get acquainted, of course, scuffling in the process. At length they settled down. Bess managed to pull a dog pillow into the fireplace for a cozy nap.

It turned cold on Thursday, and I thought I should probably take my winter coat – just in case. “Nah,” I decided, “it’s not going to be so cold that I need my coat. After all, it’s spring now, and the car is so little, and I can do without it.” So, there I was in Seattle without my coat – and it WAS cold. Well, I had my old fleece jacket and my raincoat, and I had taken a pair of gloves and my warm undershirt, so I made out all right. The weather on Saturday was warmer, convincing me that I’d made the right decision after all.

We spent Saturday doing things with Hallie and Nick – and I’ll talk a little about that tomorrow. Sunday came all too quickly – time to go home. We headed out about 10:00 a.m., doing our route in reverse – out of the city and back to our quiet country roads.

Campground at Lyon's Ferry
Near Lyon's Ferry
We arrived at the town house at 3:30, just after a shower. We quickly unpacked and then settled down to wait until time to pick up Nellie at the boarding facility at 5:00. Mike went to get her, and she was so happy to be home! – dancing and prancing all about the house. We then went for our customary late afternoon walk, and Nellie ran the whole way – so relieved to be back home and see the familiar places. (At 14, Nellie usually saunters along. Running more than a short distance is unusual for her.)


Mike said that Nellie earned a good report from the boarding facility. They said she was a sweet girl. KW


2 comments:

Chris said...

I don't know why, but a trip to Seattle always soooo long! Glad you had a good time and made it back home.

Kathy said...

It IS long. And even though central Washington has an interesting geological history, it doesn't make for interesting scenery.

Actually, our home location is remote. It's not easy to get anywhere from here because of our topography.