Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A SATURDAY IN SEATTLE


Not quite the right shade -- oh well
Damage -- moths or mice?
Knowing that our time in Seattle would be short and that no one else would enjoy hanging around fabric or doll shops, I tried not to make demands. But I did ask Hallie to help me accomplish one thing. I have come by a beautiful mohair coverlet that has sustained moth damage. I decided to repair it even though I can’t make it like new, and I wanted to buy a little mohair yarn for that purpose.

So, Saturday morning we quickly settled on a yarn shop a short distance from the little Tudor and were there in a matter of minutes. It would have been wise to have taken the coverlet with me, but I didn’t. I knew I could never match the color or the yarn anyway, so it didn’t take me long to just pick a green from what was available at the yarn shop. It will be what it will be, and the coverlet will put its best side out with the mend folded under.

As we watched TV Friday evening, Hallie demonstrated how their “Chromecast” enabled us to watch videos from her phone on the TV screen. “Hey,” she said, “you could have a Chromecast.” Discussion ensued, and we determined that our TV set would be smart enough. So, on the way back to the house from the yarn shop, we stopped at Fred Meyer and there was a Chromecast amongst the groceries as we checked out.

Nice gate!
Nick and Mike install the gate
After lunch, Mike assisted Nick in setting the gate he built. It still needs a latch and a decorative piece, but now the backyard is a secure place for Primo.



  
The Troll under the Bridge
Mike still wanted to sight-see and geocache (mostly geocache), so Hallie and Nick humored him. We went to visit “the Troll,” where I quickly located the cache. Then we made several trips in and around the Fremont library where we were eventually successful in finding another cache. The next one was discovered at the bottom of a steep hill near the water. Climbing back up the hill was not fun. Mike pulled me for several blocks.

Many brick Tudors, different entries
On the way home, we stopped at a wonderful fish market where Hallie and Nick bought delicious crab cakes for our dinner. At the bakery next door, Nick selected a loaf of fresh-baked bread. I saw lots of goodies there, but we didn’t indulge.











Little Brick Tudor -- alive and well
The tour ended with a drive through the neighborhood to see the variety of little brick Tudors, all built in the ‘20s and ‘30s. There are many of them, and Hallie says the main difference is the entryway. And there are larger Tudors as well. As far as I could see, most of them look great, and it’s wonderful to be able to say that Hallie and Nick's does, too, thanks to them.

And by the way, you can read the story of Hallie and Nick's "Seattle Tudor Renovation" here. KW


5 comments:

Chuck said...

What is Chromecast? At first, I thought it was something you plugged into your TV, then thought it was particular type of TV? We must be in the dark ages. We have a regular TV with Apple TV connected to it, as well as a roku device which we never use. I don't know if I could master anything more, and I don't know if I would like to watch TV from my phone.

Chris said...

Ann's family used Chromecast all the time and they love it. We are pondering jumping on board, too.

Your yarn looks to be a good match!

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!
The Google Chromecast is a device that allows you to stream video content to your TV. Apparently it competes with Roku and Apple TV, It costs $35 and plugs into your TV to enable easy access to streaming services from your devices -- phone, iPad, laptop, etc. It sounds like you already have this technology in place, if you have Apple TV and Roku.

Chris, we enjoyed watching a couple of old reruns from YouTube the other night, but the problem for us is that we prefer to record from a schedule and then that becomes a list from which we choose our entertainment. We have trouble letting go of the old mindset. Having a banquet at our disposal is almost too much. That said, I can at least watch tutorials on the "big" screen.

The yarn is a bit off, but I don't think I could ever match it. Hopefully I can reweave the coverlet and keep the holes from growing.

Chris said...

When we were at Ann's on Christmas day, we used the Chromecast to play a game. All of us used our phones or iPads to play, but the scores, etc., showed up on the TV. Cameron set it up and we all had the App on our devices. Then I wanted to show Ann a video of one of my former students rock climbing and so I "cast" it and it was amazing! I'm about to do an online Bible study and I think it would be much nicer to watch it on the big TV while lounging on my sofa vs sitting at this desk and watching on my computer. Hmm, I may be talking myself into buying one pronto!! LOL

Kathy said...

I am comfortable in encouraging your purchase. It just isn't all that expensive in the scheme of things.