Friday, November 17, 2017

A LOVELY GIFT



So, as I mentioned on yesterday’s post, Tuesday I packed up my embroidery machine and thread, fabric, stabilizers, etc., and headed to my friend Chris’ house. You may recall that we each bought a Brother PE-770 in September (here). For Chris, the new machine replaced a beloved favorite which was worn out, but I caught her enthusiasm and wanted one, too. She volunteered to provide training for me, but it took us a while to find a mutually satisfactory date. (You know how it is when you’re retired.) We finally settled on Tuesday, Nov. 17.

I left Clarkston in fog and halfway up the Lewiston Hill, it became so dense that I nearly panicked. But just beyond that point I drove right out of the fog and into a beautiful day. Chris was waiting for me when I arrived at her house. After a brief overview to be sure I understood the machine’s functions, we commenced to embroider. I stitched on a tea towel and she made the cutest gingerbread coaster, the first of a set she’s making. Besides operating our machines, we talked non-stop for four hours. I can’t tell you how many subjects we started and didn’t finish. When I left, Chris probably collapsed on her sofa for a nice nap before my tail lights disappeared around the corner.

And – she gave me the nicest gift: Ann Estelle from the Robert Tonner Doll Company, still new in the box. Chris had originally gifted this doll to someone else, but then she had the privilege of gifting her again so she entrusted her to me. I am so honored to have her. By mutual agreement between Ann Estelle and myself, she is now out of the box.



Ann Estelle comes from designer Mary Englebreit’s brightly colorful world, and I am in the process of determining Ann’s character in my world. She’s charming and whimsical. It’s clear that her family has wherewithal and her grandmother does heirloom sewing. No "make-do" in that family. She reminds me of pictures of my sister Harriet in the '30s, but I can’t quite bring myself to call her "Harriet." She IS like Harriet, though. Harriet was bright and imaginative, and so is Ann Estelle. I think she'll live in the china cabinet with the dishes and lovely things. Yes, I think that suits her personality. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Ahh, she's found herself a home at last and she's so happy! Mom would approve.

It was such a fun day! And I know I remembered, later, conversations we never finished. We still have a lot of catching up to do. January here we come!

Kathy said...

Ann Estelle is sitting on a stack of plates even as I write. I will find a stand for her.

I look forward to another training session. It's good to make plans beyond the holidays.

Hallie said...

Very cute addition!