Monday, November 20, 2017

IMAGINARY CELEBRATIONS


Just before the rain storm -- about 12:30 p.m.

Mike watches a lot of football – a LOT of football – and while I don’t watch, I don’t care if he does. I’ve learned to pursue other activities while he is thus occupied, including listening to programs on my iPad while I crochet, armchair shopping, or – maybe just falling asleep. Whatever – I’m not bored. (Well, maybe a little bored.)

At 3:30 p.m.
This time of year is difficult, though. As soon as it turns cold and the days grow shorter, Mike seems to have time on his hands. However, in November and December, I’m busy with holiday plans and preparations, most of which support an imaginary celebration on this blog. I don’t talk much about it because it has only the importance I assign to it, but my imaginary people want to do more than I can possibly accomplish before Christmas. You say Christmas is only five weeks away? I’m already wondering if the 57 weeks until Christmas 2018 would be enough.

At 4:30 p.m.
But – it’s still too early for Mike to worry about Christmas. “I was thinking we could go geocaching this afternoon,” he might casually suggest, all nice and relaxed-like. Meanwhile, my whole afternoon, tomorrow, next week and the week after are planned in my head. Still, if he asks, “What are you going to do tomorrow,” I just can’t bring myself to say, “Ina has to bake gingerbread cookies for the kids at the one-room schoolhouse, and she has to finish Shirley Anne's apron before she gets home from school." Yes, that's not real, but experiencing as much as I can is important to me. This imaginary celebration replaces Christmas Past. KW


3 comments:

Chuck said...

I like the imaginary stories. They could just as well be real, for all I know. Keep us far away folks entertained as long as you can. Sometimes, a story hits close enough to my being on the scene, that it brings back memories. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chuck. I call my stories "family fiction," but certain elements are factual. This year's offering is more fantastic but still based on Ina's skimpy Christmas at the farmhouse.

Chris said...

I look forward to these stories, too, even though my remembrances are of the Christmases at your house as we were growing up. I enjoy reading about this part of your family, and I know you work hard to weave in facts that make the fiction close to reality.