Friday, November 24, 2017

BLACK FRIDAY



I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are now comfortably enjoying whatever makes you happiest this weekend. We enjoyed a sunny and unseasonably warm day.

Ginger Cookies
Tuesday evening an email message came in from daughter Hallie. Paraphrased, it read: “Hello Parents, Here’s my Amazon Christmas wishlist. Do you have a wishlist?”

I replied that she was confused – it’s Thanksgiving, not Christmas – and she countered that Black Friday deals were her motivation.

“Are you going out on ‘Black Friday?’” Mike asked me.

I never do, and I saw no reason to start now. Black Friday caught me sleeping in while visions of online deals at my favorite vendors danced in my head. I arose to find a record 52 email messages (including Black Friday offers) in my inbox – and yes, it was empty when I went to bed. I made my hot chocolate and eagerly set to work to take care of each message, one way or another.

3:30 p.m.
I try not to worry too much about sales. You know, there’s always another sale. Some years ago, a friend lamented that she had missed the annual baking staples sale at Rosauer’s (a local grocery store), and I pointed out to her that while that particular sale is a fun event, many more sales of such items would take place prior to Christmas. I don’t think she believed me, but I know it’s true.

4:30 p.m.
It IS fun to participate, though, especially when some vendor websites take on the feeling of community. I have my favorites. A non-profit catalog opt-out organization wrote to encourage me not to buy anything on Black Friday. Yeah – that didn’t happen, and I took care of that message a little faster than the others. (You can overdo the “waste not” philosophy.)

Mike with leaf blower
Back in the day of my childhood, my parents often shopped on the day after Thanksgiving. We would drive to Lewiston – or even Spokane. For sure, we made it to Spokane at least once during the season so that we could take in the holiday sights. It was important to see the window at The Crescent (and to a lesser extent The Bon Marche) – always decorated with an animated display. We visited toy departments and bought decorations, and the main floor was always a treat to see. I miss that. Nothing compares today – at least not in my world. KW

[The pictures don't have much, if anything, to do with the post. Some days are like that.]


2 comments:

Hallie said...

The garden nursery near our house is the most sincerely festive place I've found. There is an indoor area that has a section of plant food and soil amendments, but they always leave a large space for a train setup going through a winter scene, and most of this room is cards and ornaments. I think there's also sometimes a Santa or live music. Outside, they have a pen with three reindeer and a camel. Everyone loves Curly the camel! Finally, there's yet ANOTHER indoor area dedicated to house plants and small gifts. Calendars, mugs, books, and artwork.

I love the nursery.

Kathy said...

Sounds like a wonderful nursery. When I went to Spokane with my parents, we would stop at Northwest Seed and Pet on Sprague. They always had lovely things at Christmas. I think the business is still there, but . . . well, it's 50 years since I've visited. Undoubtedly it's changed.