Monday, September 24, 2018

OFFICIALLY AUTUMN


Sunset, September 22
It’s officially autumn, and it feels like it. It was 43 this morning, and I’m thinking I might just as well pull out our tomato vines. I have three plants, and they didn’t do much. Planting and tending them was a waste of time, energy, and water.

We went to Costco yesterday (Sunday) during the noon hour. They were generous with the samples, and we called it lunch. “Look at all the people standing in line to pay for food,” said Mike as we passed the food stand. “They must be really hungry!” We were not enticed to stand in line for food, but we bought a few groceries – walnuts, pecans, tuna, fruit cocktail, -- AND VANILLA at $20.00 for a 16-ounce bottle. I’ve been shopping for vanilla everywhere, and I know this price is as good as it gets at this time.

“Liquid gold,” said the man checking us out, and I agreed. “If you don’t have it, you know it,” he added, and I agreed again. That cheap artificial vanilla just isn’t the same.

Then it was on to the Dollar Tree where Christmas is gradually replacing Halloween. And then on to Albertsons for a few things.

Decorating in progress
“What are you going to do today,” asked the cashier. I can’t imagine she really wanted to know, and I was tempted to say, "I’m shopping," but instead I said I might do some decorating. “It feels like Halloween,” I said. And to my surprise, she agreed. KW


5 comments:

Chris said...

It *is* fall!! My favorite time of the year. I have my bowl of seasonal peanut M&Ms out!!

Chris said...

And I forgot to mention that these days, $20 for that much vanilla sounds like a bargain. Guess they've had weather problems and production is down, down, down. Real vanilla is a must, nothing else will do. And considering what a very small bottle of almond extract costs (another must in my kitchen), I think the vanilla is indeed a bargain.

Kathy said...

Oh boy! I wish I were at your house to eat M&Ms. LOL

I thought $20 was a reasonable price for a pint of vanilla, considering it's about twice that other places. I remember back in the '80s it went high, too. Hopefully the price will come down, but I think it's been high for about two years.

Hallie said...

I was just thinking that seasonal M&Ms must make these shorter days more tolerable. It still seemed dark at 6:45am this morning and I was not much for getting out of bed. In the summer time I'm up before 6:00am. I like many things about fall, but I am already missing the sun.

Kathy said...

You have a brother who also misses the sun. I counsel him to be proactive in meeting the challenge. And yes, it's also the season for treats and extra eating. Some of us have to watch that.