Sunday, September 30, 2018

A LITTLE SEW-ALONG CATCH-UP

Off to the beach -- August
Beach tote and accessories


I bought a book of doll patterns, My Doll My Style, by Anna Allen, and subsequently joined her sew-along Facebook group. We started in late July to systematically work through the patterns, one pattern per week. I’m a slow worker, so not much is coming out of my sewing room except for these outfits, but at least that’s something. I have enjoyed comparing notes with others – many who are my age – who also enjoy sewing for dolls. 

Today I'm sharing photos of my creations based on patterns in My Doll My Style. In August, I made two swim outfits complete with cover-ups and sarongs. The tote bag was also from the book, and I accessorized with goggles (from Walmart) and a "water bottle" which was originally a sample of shampoo. 

Athletic top and shorts
This is Molly's athletic outfit, a happy pairing of two different knits. I say "happy," but it didn't come easily. I agonized over the fabric choices, especially since I don't have many knits in my fabric stash. The book gives instructions for crafting a decorative design for the shirt, but I did mine with machine embroidery. I think if I worked with a little girl, we might do some crafts, but just for myself, I prefer to use the machines on hand. 
Wrong fabric

Next up is my interpretation of the slip-over shirt and textured skirt -- a Halloween party outfit. However, the top was supposed to be made of a super-stretch knit, and while it's cute, I had to contort Molly in order to get it on her, and she says she never wants to see it again. 
 

And this is my latest finish -- the flutter sleeve dress. I have plans for this pattern -- a story for another day. KW



4 comments:

Chris said...

Ooo, so fun!! Your outfits are perfect! Even the one Molly never wants to wear again. Show her the picture and when she sees how cute she is in it, she'll want to wear it again. :-) I think sewing for dolls is as labor intensive as sewing for ourselves, so you can rack up kudos for a lot of outfits! Plus, you're having fun!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. I agree that it's labor intensive, and I'm pursuing this sew-along because I wanted to learn some new techniques. That said, there are some craft options I don't really care about. The wonderful thing about sewing for dolls is that with the right pattern, very little altering is required.

The Halloween top is cute, but that fabric needs to be a top that opens in the back. Our local JoAnn's doesn't carry a lot of knit options. I guess I need to start looking at ready-made t-shirts in the marts for fabric.

Hallie said...

Such fun! I agree that the Halloween top is super cute.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Hallie.