Monday, October 1, 2018

A CATTYWAMPUS REPAIR


My favorite frumpy jacket
Oblivious? I think not!
Bess has a very strong sense of her place in Mike’s life. As the alpha dog, she expects priority seating if she wants it. During hunting season, Bess knows she's Mike’s best girl. She, not I, goes with him on his outings, and it’s a terrifically good time for both of them. After hunting season, she must return to her old role as a pet in the home. Apparently, she is well aware of the implications because this year, as winter became spring, Mike began to take me with him for yoga, shopping, etc., leaving her in the house, and she expressed her displeasure by ripping up and ingesting textiles.

Top side damage
At first, we thought it was Nellie, but one afternoon while Mike was away from the house, I followed a very sick Bess outside and discovered that she was the one eating our jackets, towels, and bedspread. It could not be denied. For once, Nellie was exonerated.

Underside damage
Actually, we didn’t immediately notice that Bess had ripped a corner of our bedspread. In fact, if memory serves (sometimes it doesn’t), daughter Hallie was the first to notice when she visited in May. I’m not sentimentally attached to this bedspread, so on a certain level I wasn’t too upset, but it did need to be repaired, and I had to think about that.

Pinned for stitching
Eventually, I came up with a plan, and today, the first day of October, I implemented it. I unceremoniously whacked off the corner, tucked in the edges, and stitched ‘er down. I was finished in half an hour. Of course, it doesn’t lie flat because it’s not straight with the world, but I’m not sure I could do better if I tried. So – that’s it. Finished! And I can go back to sewing doll clothes without guilt.
Repaired


Here’s the bedspread on the bed. I don’t think the mend is too noticeable, and it really doesn’t matter. 


For now, the Halloween girls are providing a decorative touch for the room. And yes, they do make me happy. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

That Halloween quilt is great! I kind of want to do some decorating for Halloween. My interest is mainly in decorating outside. However, I don't really want to invest much in it since it is outside and it will get beaten by weather. So, yesterday we went to a nearby thrift store to see what they had. It was mostly costumes. There was a cool skeleton, but it was $60. I told Nick that for $60 it ought to be REAL bones.

Anyway, on our walk this afternoon, Primo and I spied some neat little ghosts that stick in the ground on stakes. They were probably made of a thin, painted wood. That's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

Also, I endorse your repair. Hardly noticeable at all.

Kathy said...

Check the Dollar Tree and JoAnn, but do it soon because they are clearing them out. And there's always Amazon. You don't have to spend a lot to be festive.

Chris said...

Your bedspread looks just fine. The repair wouldn't be noticed by anyone and you did it! All done! Always such a relief! And your Halloween quilt is out, celebrating it's season. Well done all around!