Thursday, October 11, 2018

STAYCATING AND ITS REWARD




Mike and Bess are hunting in southern Idaho / Oregon, which means I’m staycating with Nellie. Caring for Nellie has its frustrations now, and a reward for me is long overdue.

Thanksgiving at Grandmother's
I collect a few Department 56 “Original Snow Village” houses, and in recent years, I’ve focused on the “grandmother” theme. The first I bought was “Thanksgiving at Grandmother’s House.” It’s not that I’m “Grandma.” No, I immediately loved the Thanksgiving house because it reminded me of my mother and her mother.

The minute Halloween is over, I set out my Thanksgiving house, and often I throw a little fake snow around it and let it stay out for Christmas. Then, several years later, I added “Christmas at Grandma’s,” and last year, I discovered a long-retired piece, “Grandma’s Cottage,” which I purchased as a used item. (That was a good buy.)
Department 56 Snow Village Christmas at Grandma's Lit House
Christmas at Grandma's

Department56 Department 56 Snow Village The Other Grandma’s House
The OTHER Grandma's House
While Mike traveled in June, Dept. 56 offered a special on “Home for the Holidays,” and since that fit my theme, I bought it as my staycation gift. But the one I really had my eye on was “The Other Grandma’s House.” That the other Grandma would have a house just sparked my imagination all over again, and I intended it to be my staycation reward. However, something in the description of the house made me think twice. Long story short, I discovered that “The Other Grandma’s House” is simply a reworking of the original “Christmas at Grandma’s." It's the same house!! That was a disappointment, and I was disappointed in myself for not seeing it sooner.  Clearly, the “other Grandma” does not mean to Dept. 56 what it means to me. I’m not saying I’ll never buy it, but I’m not buying it now.

Meanwhile, a couple of doll clothes designer / bloggers are currently offering “grab bags” from their stash of wonderful fabrics, a timely offering since I’m looking for a good gift. I ordered two of them. Since I'm not buying a house, I feel like I can afford it! KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad you realized that the house was the same one with different colors. Hmmmm... Anyway, the grab bags sound like fun! Can't wait to hear what you get.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris!
I don't usually indulge in grab bags -- would rather spend for what I know I like and can use -- but my supply of all types of knits appropriate for doll clothes is limited. My curiosity was piqued, so I went for it. And sometimes I just like to support the people who devote time and energy to designing patterns for me because designing and drafting is something I just don't do.

Okay -- I'll show the mystery gift when it comes.