Saturday, October 20, 2018

ELDERBERRY FEST 2018 – Part 1


Autumn at the Farmhouse


Friday (Oct. 19), Mike and I intended to start our day with our “morning stretch” group but learned through early messaging that our sessions have been cancelled for the next couple of weeks because the room is in use for a civic theater play, “Night of the Living Dead.” Looks like a “fun” Halloween presentation. We bought tickets for next week.

So, with yoga cancelled, we called on our farmhouse contractor, Big Mike. We were able to view the flooring and coordinate a laminate for the kitchen counter. We talked timelines, and if the weather holds, we might be looking at completion within a month. I’m finally feeling excited. Although it’s been a dry fall and this pattern continues for the next ten days, we all know the weather could be a factor.

Next, we returned the laminate samples to the cabinetmaker and reported our choice. He said our cabinets are built and ready for paint. I was pleased to hear he was that far along, but there’s other woodwork he must process.

Finally, we were ready to head out for the farm. It’s truly autumn now and beautiful along the Clearwater River. I think we’ve had prettier falls, but still, the sun shining on the aspens is a beautiful sight.

Haze in Little Canyon
It was 54 degrees at the farm when we arrived at about 11:00. Though hazy, it was a beautiful fall day and warm in the sun. Mike and Bess immediately readied for hunting while I prepared to pick elderberries. Together we walked behind the house to the usual elderberry bushes. Mike and Bess left me there and went on to walk the canyon rim.

We startled several whitetail doe, and Mike also spotted a buck, but we aren’t hunting deer this year.

Did not pick this bush
Picked these berries
So, here I was with my picker’s pole, celebrating our annual Elderberry Fest. I was able to access lots of nice berry clumps from a small bush near the edge of the field.  Since I was alone, I didn’t care to climb down the steep bank. The plan was that Mike would return to help me, but in 15 minutes or so, I had all I could reach and it seemed like enough, given that I’ll have to process them in my town kitchen, which isn’t the best for jelly-making.

Green
Mike and Bess saw only one covey of chukars on their hunting hike, but they flushed and flew before Bess scented them. By the time they arrived at the farmhouse, I was halfway through stemming the berries. Then Mike took over while I went into the house to check out the progress. Here’s a picture of the paint in the dining room, a brighter green than the previous shade – not as subtle.

We were back in town by 2:30, but did we rest? No! Mike finished setting up the drip system on the back of our lot preparatory to planting a privacy screen at the top of our bank. The annual infestation of blue aphids is at its peak now, making any outdoor activity miserable on these warm afternoons. I washed, cooked, and strained 21 cups of berries in two batches – about five cups of juice, which I will stretch into two batches of jelly. KW

Tomorrow – Elderberry Fest continues

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm holding on to your house being done by Thanksgiving!!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris.

Hallie said...

Sorry to miss Elderberry Fest. It would have been impossible with my travel schedule this year, which was painful and unnecessary. Perhaps next year!

The wall to the left above the green looks painted, but it will be wallpapered, no? I think the color is nice and I predict that once the wall paper is up it will tone down. You have a lot of white, reflective space at the moment, which is likely influencing how it appears.

Kathy said...

We can always make juice and freeze it, too, if we want the experience of making jelly together.

Yes, the wallpaper will go above the green, and I had the same thought -- that the wallpaper will make a difference. The original wainscoat green was too gray.

At any rate, we're adding blue and yellow to the color scheme, and perhaps it's a good thing.