Sunday, October 14, 2018

STAYCATION IS OVER


Filigree design on back of my shirt

Mike and Bess returned Friday evening (Oct. 12), and so my staycation with Nellie is officially over. However, Saturday morning Mike and Bess were out early for the opening of Idaho pheasant season. In a sense, staycation continues on a smaller scale, meaning that rewards are always appropriate.

Mike and Ken were disappointed in the southern Idaho / Oregon hunting trip. Mike says he always remembers the wonderful hunts in past years and forgets it just isn’t the same now. The bird population is down everywhere. Not only that, star thistle makes hunting difficult in our region.

Yesterday, I accomplished a machine embroidery project that had become a “buffalo.” Five years ago or so, I tried to embroider a lovely filigree spider web on the back of a t-shirt. I had a horrible lapse of judgement in the hooping and the project went awry. The loss of the t-shirt was no big deal. I immediately returned to the mart and bought another, and the original shirt was repurposed. However, the new shirt just hung in the closet waiting for me to get up my courage to embroider it. Let’s face it – I’m not going to wear a pumpkin orange shirt unless it’s clearly embellished for Halloween!
Web design on Mike's shirt

Machine embroidery is easy, but placement and hooping can be a challenge, and when I’m challenged, I need to concentrate, and this means I should probably be alone. This October staycation was the perfect time to face this buffalo. I watched a video tutorial, read a written tutorial, and then cleaned off the kitchen counter and set to work with the shirt, the stabilizer, and the mega hoop required by this design.

Long story short, I was successful. Yay! Now I can wear my orange Halloween shirt.

Mike was so impressed that he wanted a Halloween shirt, too, so today I stitched a design on an orange shirt for him. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Boom!!! Buffalo slain! Hooray for you!! And you did a perfect job(s). You'll have so much fun wearing your shirt and I'm impressed that Mike wanted one, too. You deserve a treat for certain!

Kathy said...

Completing those jobs almost feels like a treat in itself. I know you said I shouldn't tell these things, but they aren't perfect. Unfortunately, the designs were too large for the large oval (5x7), and I had to go to the mega hoop. I had trouble pulling the stabilizer tight enough, let alone the fabric. I'm just grateful the overall effect is reasonably good. But as I sat there watching the machine work and feeling sorry for myself, I reminded myself that I can't hope to be good at this stuff if I don't practice.

Thanks for your encouragement.