Wednesday, August 14, 2019

FALL NIPS IN


Pre-harvest moon (Harvest moon is Sept. 13.)

I thought maybe I was the only one feeling this, but Chris also observed that autumn has “nipped in.” We’re loving it! Summer to autumn is my favorite seasonal change. As the days grow shorter, the shadows grow long in the afternoon and evening. The sun is still as warm as summer, but mornings and evenings are cool. In the country, a kind of expectation seems to hang in the air as the grain silently ripens.

Mike suggested we begin to use the Magnum for our back and forthing. The all-wheel drive is good on the grade. It’s also easier to load, and our things – and Bess – are inside, out of the dust and heat. I drove it to the farm yesterday while Mike came along on his XT.

We had been away from the farm for almost a week. Cooler temps and the plant nannies saved my gardens. I picked four yellow crook-necked squash and two zucchini, some of which I will saute for supper. I was dismayed that the tomatoes are so slow to ripen, but as I watered, I spied a bit of red peeking out from under the plant. I picked at least a dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, some of them quite large, and they tasted so good! It looks as if I might have to wait awhile for more garden bounty, though.

During our absence, the horse came to call, leaving his cards in the yard. Mike collected those into the compost bin. That’s the best thing about having the horse around. We found more rodent activity in the lower part of the yard. Seems like they started in the grove and have gradually migrated closer to the barn. The yellow jackets are here and giving the hummingbirds – and Bess – fits. I’m kinda surprised that the hummers are still here.



Yesterday Mike built a new door for the woodshed. Ken came today to pick up some of our lifetime supply of firewood, and while he was here, he helped Mike hang the new door. 





My dad took this picture at Plank’s Pitch in 1957. On this morning’s walk, I tried for the same view. His has more personality than mine. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Great door, Mike. Great veggie's, too. Your Dad had some ominous clouds in his picture. I didn't see any in yours. I hope it doesn't get too cold before harvest gets here.

Kathy said...

Yes, he had a different sort of day, a different sort of camera, and the slides are old and slightly degraded.

They planted late, so harvest will be late. We'll see what happens.

Hallie said...

I watched that same moon rising last night as I did homework on the couch. Lovely! That’s a good squash haul. Nick is getting LOTS of cherry tomatoes on his gigantic bush. Not the best year for other things—partly due to the gardener (me).

Kathy said...

I planted some beans that didn't sprout. I'm thinking I should try some veggies for fall, but the seeds have disappeared from the stores.

Another thing I like about my dad's picture is the fence. A rustic fence just makes a country photograph. And the road -- note the tracks. It just doesn't look like that today, but I remember it that way.