Sunday, August 11, 2019

STAYCATION CLOSES



It’s a lovely day – 78 degrees with a cool breeze. Rain is predicted, but it might not happen right here. And – it DOES feel like fall. It even looks like fall.

My tendency is to want to organize new projects during staycation. I can spread out and focus better without the inevitable interruptions. But often this just results in another unfinished project, so with this staycation I decided to finish what I already had going, including this doll dress.
 
Maryellen models “Scrap-Happy Hootenanny,” a pattern from Doll Dress Boutique by Erin Hentzel. The skirt is made of 2 ½-inch squares from a “mini charm pack.” I often purchase charm packs (5-inch squares) or mini charm packs when they are on sale. These are samplers of the coordinated designs in a specific line of quilting fabric. They don’t cost much, and it’s a day-brightener when the postman delivers the package.

The lace on the bottom of the skirt is from my mother’s stash of trims, left over from a bedspread she made about 1930. I still have yards and yards of it.

I also finished this crocheted shopping bag. I’ve had the cotton yarn for many years. I think it was a kit that came as a bonus with a yarn order, and I always meant to make it, but I decided I didn’t like the pattern. I found this pattern online and used it as a guideline to do my own thing. I don’t know how practical it would be for groceries, but it might be serviceable to carry purchases from JoAnn’s.

And now, staycation draws to a close. Mike and Clint won’t be late getting in, I’m sure. The road is long and winding from the Boise area, but with an early start, they could be home early afternoon. I’ve sorted the laundry, but I’m waiting for Mike’s contributions before I start washing. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Cool here, too, and most lovely The doll dress is very cute, and I love the shopping bag!! It's beautiful! I like to buy charm squares, too, and have used them quite a few times in projects like table runners. Hope you get to play all the day!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. Today I sorted my fabric stash, which benefited my sewing room, the storage shed, AND the thrift store. I have quite a few charm packs. I especially like feedsack and children's prints, but I'll take anything that's going at a sale price. I think of table runners and doll quilts, but I've discovered that nothing happens if I just think about it.

Chuck said...

Your Staycation project looks really nice. You are a professional at your hobby. Enjoy it while you can.