Wednesday, August 7, 2019

NOW IT’S HOT, NOW IT’S COLD


Morning light
Monday afternoon, Mike decided to make ice cream. That’s when we discovered we only had one can of sweetened condensed milk. I remembered that I’d seen recipes for sweetened condensed milk and offered to make some, but he said it likely wouldn't be as good. (I’m going to try it anyway because I think it might be better!) Okay, so he modified his recipe to allow for the lack of half a can of condensed milk and it turned out just fine.

Through the window
From the porch
Tuesday morning, I got up about 5:30, and as I turned the corner into the kitchen, I spied a doe in our driveway, happily munching something. It looked to me that she was carefully pulling something out of the gravel and crunching it. I crept out on the front porch to take her picture, and when she realized I was there, she turned tail and ran. Later I confirmed what I had suspected – she was after the rock salt that Mike dumped on the weeds in the driveway.


Today, I was up again at 5:30, and this time I glanced out the kitchen window to see the white-faced horse behind the Dakota. About that time, Bess sensed his presence and sounded the alarm. With that, he bolted through the grove and was gone.

As the sun rises
Temps have turned hot. It was around 70 this morning at the farm, and we decided to complete our chores and drive back to town right away so that we could cool the house before it got really hot. The high will be over 100. I don’t know what will happen to my raised beds in the heat, but I decided they aren’t doing well enough to worry about it. The summer squash has been anything but prolific. I ate a few beets and I’m not sure I want more. The lettuce is fine, but I don’t really care. The cherry tomato is a beautiful plant with lots of little green tomatoes. And the strawberries are “between things.” At any rate, the temperature is supposed to drop rather drastically through the weekend with 66 the high at the farm on Sunday. Weird! KW

No comments: