Monday, September 23, 2019

IT'S OFFICIAL -- FIRST DAY OF FALL

Fall color appears in some early varieties
Wasn't it just Labor Day? And I thought we would have at least three more weeks of ripening tomatoes and summer squash. Well, it didn't happen, and it isn't going to happen. I still have oodles of little green tomatoes on the vine, and just a few developing summer squash, but as the days grow shorter, the garden takes the hint. Production stops.

And the other thing is that the first of October is within sight.

Despite afternoons that have been surprisingly warm, summer has had her last hurrah. Mike put away the table fan, and I folded up the coverlet and brought out the electric blanket. Mike's going to want the bed warmed one of these nights, and I don't want to be connecting the blanket when I'm tired. (Gramma Kathy is not pleasant when tired.) I tossed my summer pajamas into the laundry and dug out a warmer pair, inviting Mike to do the same. However, his conservative nature will not allow him to make such a change until we have clean sheets.


I had trouble updating my iPod the other night. Yes, ever behind in technology, I still use the iPod Nano that I've loved for eleven years. I know, I know -- I could do the same thing with my phone, but I prefer my iPod. I like that it doesn't do anything but play the programming I have selected, and I also like the way the programs are categorized. I listen to podcasts when I can't sleep, or perhaps I should say that podcasts put me to sleep. I also like that my iPod is not going to disturb me or my partner by ringing or dinging. So, I was sad when my iPod appeared to fail, I thought of calling my tech, daughter Hallie, but I'm careful about reaching out to her. I know she would drop everything to help me, but she's now a student with homework. Besides, the effort to fix the iPod might well have been a waste of time, so I just poked along, searching this and that on my laptop. Eventually I restarted the factory reset process -- and that worked. Tada! I solved my own problem -- always a good feeling.

This morning I met brother Chuck and Joanne at the Costco parking lot to say goodbye. They have been visiting sister Joni and me over the last ten days. It's always nice to get together with those with whom we share the bond of heritage. KW

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Our thanks to Kathy and Mike for helping us to have an enjoyable time while we were up there. And Thanks to Kathy for retrieving some left-behind items. The trip back was pleasant and uneventful. The car continues to run properly. Now, we are in the midst of getting our home life back to normal. We love you, Kathy.

Hallie said...

Wait. Dad can't have fresh pajamas unless the bed sheets are also fresh?

Glad you fixed the iPod! I think it's wonderful that the little iPod is still serving you well.

The leaves are rapidly changing and starting to fall from the branches now. The grass has awakened and is growing! The trick is to find a day that isn't wet in order to mow.

Kathy said...

Chuck -- So glad to hear you're home, safe and sound. It was so good to see you and Joanne.

Yes, Hallie, your dad prefers to change pajamas when the bed is changed. That saves on laundry, you see. As long as the bed is warm, he probably doesn't mind wearing his skimpy summer bedclothes. Lucky for him, the bed gets changed tomorrow because the forecast says it will be much cooler.