Sunday, September 1, 2019

SEPTEMBER -- AND THE SCHEDULE CHANGES

Livingstone, MT, August 8, 1926
Dear Girls:
We are anxious to get home. Please have plenty of vegetables cooked for our first meal, and a big cake, canned or fresh fruit. If handy, chicken.
Love, Momma
(A hungry Ina is returning home after a visit to Yellowstone.)

It was chilly at the farm on Thursday, and in the evening I turned the electric blanket on low to warm the bed, but Friday would be warmer -- and even hot here in town. We took a very enthusiastic Bess to the beach Friday evening. Retrieving a ball lobbed into the water is just the thing on a hot day.

Last week I wondered what I could do to increase production from my raised beds, but it finally occurred to me that we're at the end of the season. I do hope I might have a few more summer squash and that the many existing green cherry tomatoes will ripen on the vine, but gardening at the farm isn't worth a lot of effort now. Regardless of temperature, once the days are noticeably shorter -- and they are noticeably shorter -- the garden gets the message that winter is coming. 

And now it's the first of September, and we experience an abrupt schedule change. College football has begun, and next week the pro-season begins. The dove season opened this morning and Mike went out to hunt, but as he expected, he didn't see a single dove (except maybe those on the neighbor's roof). Often when we have that little chilly spell at the end of August the doves disappear -- at least for a while. Anyway, they have a tendency to hang out where it isn't legal to hunt. Very savvy birds -- just as savvy as the deer.


Despite the heat, I broke down and baked a batch of cookies yesterday and banana bread this morning. KW




2 comments:

Chris said...

I loved reading what she wanted to eat. Lots of veggies?? Cake sounds good to me!

Somehow football hasn't been on the radar here yet. I gave up watching years ago because I got too stressed if my team wasn't winning. Silly, I know, but I've lived quite happily with it. :-)

Kathy said...

As near as I can tell, on that long-ago trip to Yellowstone, they didn't take much in the way of food, having no way to keep perishables. I think they expected to buy vegetables and catch fish, but there were no stores and the fishing was poor. And of course, one thing they had on the farm was plenty to eat. No money - but plenty to eat. Subsistence living.

And I can just see those two daughters -- Ethel and Myrtle, I think -- bustling about to have food ready for Momma and the family.

If you have any interest in or understanding of football, you're way ahead of me whether or not you watch it.