Thursday, February 27, 2020

A LUNCHEON IN OROFINO

The Walrath / Dobson Family Home, c. 1960

I grew up in post-WWII Orofino, Idaho, a sleepy rural village of 2,600 or so, serving farmers and loggers. By the time I came on the scene, the town was about 75 years old – beginning to age but reasonably well-maintained. Fast forwarding 70 years to the present, the region has fallen on hard times, and it shows.

So, when an organization to which I belong announced a luncheon in Orofino to be held in the very neighborhood which had been the center of my youth – where I lived, rode my tricycle, daily walked a block to my grandfather’s house and two blocks to school – well, I decided I didn’t want to go.

However, two things worked to change my mind. I knew my late sister Harriet would want – no, make that expect – me to attend, but mostly I realized that I’m not the only one who can’t go home again. It’s just hard for me to accept that I qualify as – well -- “older.” I should quit acting like a brat, I told myself.

So, I signed up to go. It was a beautiful day, a lovely drive along the Clearwater River, a delicious dinner, and pleasant fellowship. I’m glad I didn’t miss it. And yes, my friends asked to see my old house, so we drove by. Like I said – it was a long time ago. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

I haven't been down for a while, but the last time I drove by your house I was so sad. I actually wanted to buy it and fix it back up! So many years of walking up those front steps to play or pick you up for our walk to school. I'm very thankful that the people who bought Mom and Dad's house are keeping it up.

Kathy said...

It was a lot of years -- good and not-so-good times. But the house needs real structural work now, and a good remodel.

I don't think we should enter our old homes either. It just wouldn't be the same without those who lived there. We'll just cherish our memories.

Chuck said...

Beautiful shot of the old house. It doesn't look that way now, of course. Nothing in that neighborhood looks the way it used to. In fact, the whole town looks like it needs a good remodel. Unfortunately, I don't believe it will ever happen. It makes me happy to see how you and Mike are caring for the farm house. Sometimes, I wish I could go back to the years I was at the farm and working in the fields. Thank you for sharing.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!
I agree that photo of the house is very good -- one of the best I've found.

If it were possible to enter the "Twilight Zone," I would love to recapture a given happy moment of my youth, but I wouldn't care to take the bitter with the sweet. No piano recitals, please. Basically, it's good to move on.

Hallie said...

It's such a beautiful little town nestled into the hills. I wish something could bolster the economy there. Maybe a tourism gimmick like in Leavenworth, WA.

Kathy said...

The world seems to change so rapidly. I just don't know what might work. I think of other towns that have flourished and then fallen on hard times. One problem is that Orofino isn't exactly on the way anywhere. Pretty remote. And -- the highway doesn't take the traveler into the town proper.