Wednesday, February 19, 2020

NOTES FROM THE KITCHEN


I am bombarded with recipes in my email inbox every day. Of course, it’s my fault. I sign up at various websites for their promotional bombardment. On a certain level, I enjoy it, but most days I barely give this information a first look, let alone a second. Still, I can’t quite let it go.

Despite this daily onslaught, there’s nothing like a cookbook, especially an old favorite. Back in the ‘80s – that’s the 1980s – I bought the Gold Medal Century of Success Cookbook (The Best Gold Medal Recipes of 100 Years), 1979. Even then, I had a hankering to know about how it was in “the good old days.” And this particular cookbook is nostalgic to me. Not only did Betty Crocker provide historical notes here and there but I see that some little person scribbled on a page or two – a “no-no,” of course, but endearing just the same.

If I may digress, Hallie learned to make the capital letter “H” very early, and she loved to make “Hs.” She would stand on her stool in the kitchen as I cooked, making “Hs” on scratch paper. Every now and then I turn the page of a cookbook to find an “H,” and from the perspective of many years, I love that. It’s like a message from the past.

Yes, this cookbook was well loved. Not only does it have notes from the children but also food spatters. When I googled the title, I was appalled to see what sellers are asking for pristine copies -- $27, $35, even $100+. Well, my copy will not command money of any kind, but it’s okay. I probably “bought” it with boxtops.

I made Mike’s favorite meat pies the other night – a recipe of his mother’s. It’s a bit labor-intensive and time-consuming because you wrap little seasoned meat in dough and then bake it. His old wife evidently complained about this process, so he’s when he asks for meat pies, his tone is apologetic. But I have to say, they are pretty tasty.


Anyway, I had some of the prepared meat leftover, and I happened to remember – a wonder in itself – that I used to make that same meat with a “popover topping” from the above cookbook, which involves much less prep time. So, that made a quick and tasty supper for us tonight. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

This sounds like a great cookbook! And I love the story about Hallie and her H's. Treasures for certain. The recipes sounds very good, too.

Hallie said...

I think it's funny how I went around putting Hs on everything...a little like my father, wouldn't you say?

Kathy said...

Haha! I had never thought of it as a genetic compulsion. You quickly grasped the concept that "H" was your symbol. "Hs" are easy.