Tuesday, May 19, 2020

PANDEMIC NOTES


Item 1 – Pandemic Hairstyles
“Don’t you like your mother’s hair?” Mike asked son Clint.

“Um, no,” Clint answered. “She could use a trim. And she’s got this bedhead thing going on.”

I was not the least put off by Clint’s honest assessment. My hair DOES need to be shaped, and I DO have bedhead. I’m just not going to worry about it right now. Hopefully, my salon will re-open soon, and I may still put it off for a while.

Item 2 – Shopping Walmart
Mike and I were at Walmart before 8:00 this morning. He tied on his bandana; I wore my mask. Whether mask or bandana, face coverings make it difficult to breathe. Just as I predicted, the concept of the mask continues to evolve and “improve.” They now suggest a filter layer. A coffee filter is one possibility. To further thwart the effort of the virus to bring you down, you can also tie a nylon stocking around the mask. Of course, you will die of asphyxiation. 
I estimate that less than half of employees and shoppers at Walmart were wearing masks. A store employee met us at the door and explained that the carts were already sanitized.

We chose to shop Walmart because that’s where we buy dog food. We bought other items on our grocery list, but certain others remain. We just can’t find all our wishes in one place.

Item 3 – Trips to Pullman
Mike installed electronic shifters on one of his bikes, but he needed a bike tech to tweak them. Last Saturday (May 16), we carried the bike to Pullman and left it at the shop. Leaving it was easy. However, it was a different story on Monday when we went to pick it up. Only one customer at a time was allowed in the shop, so Mike had to wait outside while a young couple completed their purchase of a tandem bike. While we understand the necessity, it was still trying, especially when our transaction would take less than five minutes.
 
We geocached in Pullman both days, finding nine. The caches took us to some scenic spots. Spring is such a lovely time of year on the Palouse – or most anywhere in this region. On the way home Monday, we saw a funnel cloud – actually more spectacular than these pictures show.

Item 4 – Bess to the vet
It was time for Bess’ annual check-up and rattlesnake vaccination. Humans are not allowed in the vet’s lobby, so Mike called from the parking lot, and they came out to get Bess. After her check-up, the vet returned her to the car with a clean bill of health. Her weight is just right – 51 pounds. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

I get my haircut Thursday and I'm so thankful!! I at the paperbag over the head stage now and it's not pretty. Today I didn't even bother with my hair--nothing good could come of it. I'm thankful I live in Idaho so things can start up again. We've only had five mild cases and that was over a month ago.

Kathy said...

Paper bag over the head? Does that mean you want to hide your head in a paper bag? Oh, I haven't bothered with my hair in weeks except to keep it clean and brush it. Come to think of it, that's all I ever do anyway.

Well, our WA county is opening now, but I noticed yesterday that the salons are still closed. I don't know what criteria they have to meet in order to open. And of course, it would be a simple matter for me to get my hair cut at an Idaho salon. I would just prefer to stay with my WA salon.

Chris said...

Yes, a paper bag over my head. :-)

Hallie said...

Pretty much everyone wears masks now in the stores over here. Even Nick has gotten on board. We’re supposed to, I guess. We laugh at the people wearing the mask in their own cars. WA’s current stay-at-home order is though the end of the month, I think. Hopefully salons will open after that. But how long will it take to get an appointment? I’ll be need to lose at least 4 inches.

Kathy said...

I have a mop of hair now and am just grateful that I can sweep it back and it stays out of my eyes. And as you point out, it may be several weeks before I can get an appointment, in consideration of her schedule and when I'm in town.

They tell us it's most important to wash our hands and keep our distance, but wearing the mask is also important. In this world of divided opinions, it's taken as a sign that you take your responsibility to protect others seriously.