Saturday, September 26, 2020

FALL IS HERE

Post-harvest, 2020

I have been busy. Wednesday and Thursday, I finished up some doll clothes, and Friday I was privileged to deliver them directly to Hazel. Well, Hazel wasn’t there, but her girl was. Her girl is growing up. 


Friday afternoon, it was good to get back to the farm. In the two weeks we were away, the canola was harvested, and autumn has definitely arrived.

 

We decided it was unnecessary to mow the lawn again, so Mike removed the blades from the mower for sharpening. Late afternoon, he and Bess tramped the fields but saw no game birds. I took the camera and walked around the pond.


The garden beds are about finished. I picked two X-large zucchini, two cherry tomatoes (a volunteer vine), and just a few nice strawberries. Being in a Halloween mood, I hung my old string of jack-o-lantern lights in the kitchen window (replacing red, white, and blue stars) and baked a pumpkin pie.

In the evening, Mike lit a fire in the fireplace. A windstorm came up, howling and shrieking around the corners of this old house. Bess stayed on the front porch until she could stand it no longer and whined to be let in. This morning we found a maple limb in the yard, not as large as the one that blew down on Labor Day but ten more sticks for the woodpile nevertheless. 

Mike continues his fall chores – cleaning out the fireplace, cleaning the eaves troughs, etc. He suggested I wait until tomorrow to do the laundry. I didn’t say so, but I have enough laundry for two days, so I decided not to put it off. Things were mostly dry by 3:00.




It was only 60 today but pleasant when the sun shone through the clouds. Breezy and sometimes windy conditions continued – fall for sure. KW



 

["Classic Blogger" is now unavailable, and it is a nightmare -- A NIGHTMARE! -- to post and format pictures.]

4 comments:

Chuck said...

In spite of your uncooperative blog format, you do an amazing job of getting things right. Too bad you couldn't have been there for the harvesting. We're still in summer mode down here. Too bad about the hunting. Where have they gone? At least your garden is giving a little bounty.

Kathy said...

Hallie, my tech, says I should be patient because they will eventually work out the bugs. We don't want to move from Blogger.

Well, I don't think Mike had great expectations of the bird hunting here. He thought he might have seen a juvenile chukar at the canyon rim today. We've seen a few Huns, a few doves, a few quail -- but not right here on our place.

He and Bess have walked the canyon rim and on our property.

Chris said...

I'm so loving this cool weather! Dan continues to bring in a few crookneck and zucchini but I'm about out of ideas for them.

I'm don't like the new blogger format, but so far I've not really had any problems with it. My format is very simple so that may be a help to me.

Kathy said...

My zucchini and crookneck just didn't produce much this year. In fact, it just doesn't seem to do well -- ironic since people used to complain that zucchini was prolific. I have to content myself with the bumper snow pea crop. The cherry tree did well but the apples are sparse and don't look good.

It's true that posting photos is the problem. I have you to thank, Chris, for introducing me to posting photos. And now I'm sure it's more important to me than any reader, with the exception of Chuck.