Saturday, September 12, 2020

LINGERING SMOKE

What can I say? It’s still smokey. Daughter Hallie reports that it’s so smokey in Seattle that she has had to curtail her outdoor activities. (She runs regularly.) Her throat burns, she says. I can relate. As we left the farmhouse on Thursday, my throat burned, too. As of yesterday, the report was that the MM49 fire – the one closest to the farm – had burned 2000 acres but mostly close to Highway 12.

I hated to leave the farm. It’s pleasant to be there in the fall, and I also left things undone, which means I have work to do when we go back. I didn’t want to hang our laundry in the smoke, so I didn’t wash. And they still hadn’t harvested the canola or other area crops, so I can look forward to more dust, i.e., housework. Our September schedule is filling up with appointments and activities to pursue from our town base. Don’t know when we’ll go back to the farm. 


Mike took advantage of this smokey day to sweep the chimney at the town house. He says we’re now ready for fires in the little stove. I wonder how long it will be before we need one. We’re still using the air conditioner, and it looks like it will be warm the rest of the month. As autumn comes on, mornings and evenings tend to be cooler, though. The heat doesn’t come on as quickly or last as long. KW



2 comments:

Chris said...

Housework. My house is so dusty, I really, really need to dust. And vacuum. Maybe today. It seemed pointless before because we had all the windows open and harvest dust came in as soon as I dusted, but now the whole house is closed up because of the smoke, so I guess I have no excuse. I need to concentrate on how virtuous I'll feel when I'm done. :-)

Kathy said...

No matter when you dust, you will need to dust again. It's just a given. It does feel good to have a clean house, though.