Saturday, May 8, 2021

AN OVERNIGHTER AT THE FARM


The times seem stressful as we prepare to refresh our town home with paint and carpet. Slowly the schedule is falling into place.

Lapins Cherry Tree

Meanwhile, repairs at the farmhouse are complete and it was time for the first mow of the season, so Wednesday (May 5) Mike rode his XT to the farm while Bess and I followed in the Jeep. The farmers were planting in the area but not on our place. Our fields were planted in the fall.

Our first task was to clear the yard of tree debris – pinecones, twigs, sticks, and branches – some of it sizable. It seemed like a lot, especially in light of what we did last week. Well, we were thorough, and Mike took two 4-wheeler trailer-loads to the burn pile.

Lapins cherry tree in bloom

When I was a girl, my dad assigned me to clear the grove of pinecones and twigs before he mowed, and I’ve always found it a most tiring job! Working while stooped over is just tiring. And my small hands can’t carry much at a time either. Even though Mike parked close to our activity, maybe it would have been better to have a receptacle closer to me. That’s it! Next time – and there will be a next time – I’ll use the garden cart.

Distant snow-capped mountains don't show in photo

Mike mowed and trimmed, and his Fitbit, which was in his pocket, registered the mowing as steps. We laughed, but it shows that it’s a rough ride. In fact, by the end of the day, I had 15,000 steps myself – none of them from riding.

It was our first over-nighter of the year, and as the day drew to a close, I blessed myself for having made the bed last week.

Downed pine snag

On Thursday, we had more chores to do. Mike cleaned the eaves troughs on the north side of the house and then struggled with bicycle inner tubes. I cleaned and weeded the raised beds. I wish I could grow a good garden, but these days we’re up against a hot summer. Nevertheless, I keep trying. With our next trip, I’ll ask Mike to set up the hoses because it’s dry out there – quite dry for this time of year.

Speaking of dry, the wind blew and blew and shrieked and howled. If it hadn’t been so warm, it would have been easy to imagine it was spooky old October. I was delighted when one of the pattern sites I follow offered a “Spring-o-ween” promotion – Halloween patterns for spring. It seemed so appropriate!

Pear tree in bloom

We delayed our trip back to town until evening, knowing it was hot in the Valley. (The official high was 92, tying with 1947 for the record high on that date.) We had to be in town Friday morning to have the house measured for carpeting, or we might have stayed over another night.

It's still windy and cool. The sun is warm, but that wind is right off the snow-capped mountains. KW

2 comments:

Chuck said...

That's a beautiful pear tree to the west of the house. I hope it rewards you with lots of pears this coming summer and fall. At least you are not having to put up with blowing snow and cold, now. Keep up the good work.

Chris said...

Happy Mother's Day! Lovely photos. Spring is dry, but cold, right? (Right now I'm contemplating turning on our gas fireplace! I'm freezing!) We had to be in the valley on Thursday and actually had to turn on the air conditioning in the car, which seems almost surreal today.