Friday, May 21, 2021

PHASE I COMPLETE

Phase I of “Operation Refresh” (the modular home) is now complete. We have moved everything out of the little house into the garage with the exception of closets and built-in cupboards.

“Well, you actually did it,” exclaimed Mike. “You cleaned out your sewing room.” Oh, but it wasn’t easy! It was many trips back and forth to the storage shed, and I was amazed at what I was able to pack into it. In the end, we just stacked my books (I have many) on a big piece of cardboard on the shed floor. You know how it is – last in, first out, but I have a lot to do before I have to worry about it.

Dealing with the stuff is one thing, but then it comes down to the furniture, and that’s another story. Even though we were only going a few steps from the house to the garage, we had to have help.

On Monday, Mike confirmed dates with both the mover and the painter – the mover for Wednesday the 19th, the painter for the 20th. The plan was to move the furniture into the garage, and we carried out as much of the small stuff as we could. Wednesday morning we were ready for the mover, but when he was 15 minutes late, Mike called him. He was mixed up on the day but promised to come as soon as he could.

Meanwhile, Mike and I began the process on our own. We took the coffee table and end tables. Then Mike took the bed frame apart and we moved it out in pieces. Next, we tackled the dresser, which is a big piece but on rollers. And then, we just had to quit. We couldn’t do any more.

The mover was an hour and a half late, and then we had to wait another hour for his helper, during which time Mike and the mover were able to do some prep work and move some things. The hardest piece to move was the big desk in the office. Mike had to remove slats from the door frame in order to get it out.

It was all over by 2:30, and when the mover left, he took our old sofa and loveseat with him for disposal. They served us well for 35 years – way too long.

That left us with one night to spend in the house. Mike brought in the gamer chair he uses to watch sports events on TV for himself and my new porch rocker for me. We left the mattress and box springs in the bedroom, so I made the bed. Then we took our friends Ken and Ginny out to dinner. KW

No comments: